The term “Galentine’s Day” originates from the NBC hit show Parks and Recreation. Amy Poehler explains, “Oh, it’s the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it. Ladies celebrating ladies.” I am obsessed with Amy Poehler and think it’s clear to see how Galentine’s is quickly emerging as one of the best (not so) national holidays! Want to know how to create a memorable Galentine’s day for you and your crew? Here’s all the rules and tips you’ll need for the greatest night of your life!
Galentine's Day Rules:
Rule #1: NO BOYS
- On this day all boys shall be banished!
Rule #2: NO LOOKING CUTE
- Acceptable Attire: No makeup along with a simple wardrobe such as running shorts and a t-shirt.
- Unacceptable Attire: Dresses, cute blouses, anything that matches… we’re not getting glamour shots done so just stop!
Top 5 Galentine’s Day Movies:
2. Mean Girls
3. Crazy, Stupid, Love
4. Valentine’s Day (A little cliché, I know)
5. Pitch Perfect
Top 5 Galentine’s Day Songs:
1. “Wannabe”- Spice Girls
- Make sure to clarify who is which Spice Girl beforehand so things don’t get feisty.
2. “Who Runs the World” or “Single Ladies”- Beyoncé
- Because we’re all Sasha Fierce on the inside.
3. “Just the Way You Are”- Bruno Mars
- You have one of the most famous pop stars in the world telling you how perfect you are… you’re welcome.
4. Taylor Swift
- Anything by Taylor Swift… really… just pick any song of hers and it’ll work.
5. Remember JoJo? Bring her back with songs like “Too Little, Too Late” & “Get Out (Leave)."
Top 3 Galentine’s Day Treats:
1. CHOCOLATE!!! This could be 1 through 5- judge your situation accordingly.
2. Wine... and lots of it! Or if you’re hardcore pick up that favorite six-pack of beer! If you’re not into either, how about some Welch’s sparkling grape juice?
3. Grab some real food. And by real food I mean pizza, wings, or the always classy chinese food. There’s no boys around- pig out and let that sauce get all over your face, hands, and clothes.
Top 3 Galentine’s Day Activities:
1. Have a dance party (hence when that nifty list of songs mentioned earlier will come in handy)! Let your hair down and whip out those awesome dance moves. No one’s watching, just like in Taylor Swift's video!
2. Top Chef: Have a bake-off to see who can make the tastiest, most beautiful treats. THEN EAT THEM ALL!
3. Crafting is always a fun! Look up a craft on the spectacular Pinterest. One idea I’ve stumbled upon is the cute coffee cup craft! All you need is a plain mug (grab one from the dollar store) and a sharpie. You can write encouraging words or a favorite quote on your gal pals’ mug. Bake it in the oven for a few minutes and presto- a cute and encouraging mug for life!
The truth of the matter is sometimes it’s hard to be single around Valentines Day. Heck, sometimes it’s hard to be in a relationship around Valentines Day. So take some time and celebrate being a beautiful, smart, talented woman with the ones who have always had and always will have your back. After all, who needs a boyfriend when you can have a night with all of your girlfriends! Happy Galentine’s Day to all and to all a good night!