andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

FSUIP Introduces New Program in Florence

Looking for a summer experience that will change your life? If so, you should consider studying abroad through Florida State’s International Programs! While FSUIP offers many different programs in various locations around the globe, a new opportunity to study Communications in Florence is available to anyone interested in going! I spoke with the Assistant Professor at the School of Communications, Patrick Merle, to find out more about what his specific program has to offer.

Courtesy: Jetsetter.com

Communications in Florence is a program that focuses on the understanding of Italian media compared to westernized media. Dr. Merle hopes that students who embark on this summer program will develop a sense of how people communicate in another country and learn different media strategies in other cultures. To him, the program is driven by the ambition to teach his students the skills that will make them a stronger candidate by being exposed to cultures and building a richer resume.

The program dates are June 28-August 2, 2018 and while abroad in Florence, you will be housed in an apartment in the center of the city. Your morning walk to class crosses the world renowned Ponte Vecchio bridge right into the heart of the movie scene like city.

One of the many benefits of studying abroad is that the city you’re living in becomes your classroom. In this program, students will be taking two classes and can choose from Italian Travel Writing, Global Perspectives: Communications, or Race, Culture, and Communication which are all taught by Dr. Merle (check out the details of those courses here). Not only will students take classes while abroad, but they will also have the opportunity to participate in many cultural experience excursions like discussions with editorial, travel and public relation companies as well as speaking with foreign reporters covering in Italy.

In addition to the program-specific excursions, students will also participate in the Florence Broad Curriculum activities that may include day/weekend trips throughout Italy that are already covered in your program fees. Aside from that, you will also get to experience authentic Italian cuisine and wine – need I say anything more?

While speaking with Dr. Merle, I asked him, “Why Florence?” and to him, “It is one of my favorite cities in the world. It is the birthplace of the Renaissance and home to some of the most famous pieces of art of all time.” Dr. Merle says that the city’s unique culture is something you can’t experience anywhere else and will give memories to students that will last a lifetime.

Victoria Villanti (pictured below in the middle), a student here at FSU who studied abroad in Florence over the summer with Dr. Merle can attest to that, she says, “It is so easy to get stuck in your ways and views of the world. Studying abroad gives you a new perspective on life, giving you the courage to keep pushing your limits and growing as a person.”

Courtesy: Victoria Villanti

Dr. Merle, who has studied abroad himself in multiple locations, thinks that all students should take advantage of FSU’s International Programs. “If I were a student, I would not hesitate. I would definitely register. Study abroad should be a part of every student’s experience and is the best thing that ever happened in my life.”

If you’re interested in registering, do so now because up until December 6th, students will receive $100 off the application fee. The program will still be open to register after that date if there are still spots available. Also, be sure to look into the scholarships that are awarded through FSUIP under the “Money Matters” page on their website if you think financial reasons may hold you back from applying.

Check out the program’s website if you have any questions regarding fees, tuition, meal vouchers, safety and documents here and if you’re wanting to speak with someone about this opportunity you can stop by the International Programs offices located in University Center Building A on the 5th floor!

Apply now and don’t miss out on this once in a lifetime experience! Ciao!

Her Campus at Florida State University.