FSU President’s Ring Ceremony 2015

The ring ceremony is a highly revered tradition amongst high schools and colleges. Students have their first opportunity to attend the event while they are in high school. Many who participate in the ring ceremony in their high schools receive their rings from the respected Balfour Company; some students decide not to participate and save the occasion to receive their ring from the college they graduate from.  

Unlike students’ former high schools, Florida State has a very unique tradition when it comes to the ring ceremony. Every year, students have the opportunity to select a ring model, engrave it, design it and participate in the ring ceremony if they so desire. The rings are then presented to the students by the President of the school – a first for new President John Thrasher – this upcoming Thursday, March 26th, at 5pm in the Ruby Diamond Concert Hall.

Students have the opportunity to get their picture taken with President Thrasher during the ceremony and then they are able to dip their rings into the Westcott fountain; a symbolic gesture of baptizing the ring at exactly 18:51pm (military time) which is the exact date that the Florida State University was founded.

“The notion of dipping your ring into the fountain at military time for the year of the founding of the school — that’s just fun,” said [former] President Eric J. Barron, who made an appearance at the event.“Even turning your ring over when you graduate so the torches face out is great. It’s a good way to show Seminole pride.”

The Balfour Company offers a wide variety of his and her models where students can then modify the metal, finish, design and engrave their personal rings. For the Women’s section, there are six different ring types to choose from: Extra – small oval signet with stone, extra – small oval signet, extra – small traditional, signature with CZ side stones, and signature with diamond side stones.

Collegiettes can even choose the type of metal they want. Instead of traditional gold, they can choose white gold, yellow gold or Balfour premium silver. This collegiette personally has ordered the extra small traditional in gold with the red gem and engraved with“Vires, Artes, Mores,” the Latin words inscribed in the FSU seal that encompasses the morals and traits of FSU.

The deadline to participate for the 2015 ceremony has passed, but no need to fret. Rings are still available for purchase on the Balfour Company website (note: six weeks notice required for guaranteed graduation delivery).

To those who purchased a high school ring and not sure if they still want it, Balfour has a policy in which students can exchange their high school rings for a college ring. Additionally, the company also has a policy that guarantees a lifetime size change if the ring ever begins to not fit the finger. These policies are one of the many reasons why Balfour is one of the most popular and most successful companies that cater specifically to students since 1913.

Senior in Creative Writing at FSU. Aspiring journalist/novelist/world traveler. She can be seen binge watching Netflix through the broken blinds of her window and scarfing down large personal pizzas from Papa Johns. Her hobbies include being introverted, having a romantic love affair with Ben & Jerry (scandalous!), playing with people's pets at their houses instead of actually communicating with anyone, and sending brilliantly funny snapchats to her friends list.
Her Campus at Florida State University.