FSU Homecoming Court Candidates 2015

Homecoming is right around the corner! From November 8th-November 14th students can enjoy the annnual event full of activities! Voting for the 2015 Homecoming Chief and Princess opens for all Florida State students on Tuesday, November 10th at 8 a.m. and will close the same day at 5 p.m. Get to know your 2015 Homecoming Court candidates here. 

Name: Anne Piervil

Year: Senior

Major: Social Work

Hometown: Mount Dora, Florida

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

I decided to attend to Florida State University because I wanted to attend an institution that not only valued education, but strived to connect students with great opportunities and that provided a welcoming community for all students. I love Florida State University because it has a diverse community and is comprised of individuals that are driven to succeed and make a difference.

What has been your favorite experience at FSU thus far?

Studying abroad through Florida State University has been my favorite experience at Florida State University. I always dreamt of studying abroad and FSU made that dream a reality. I have had the honor to travel to India, Jamaica, Haiti, Grenada, Prague, Germany, Poland and France. As a first-generation student and Haitian-American student, I am so proud to have had the opportunity to represent Florida State University abroad and immerse myself in so many rich cultures. I have learned so much about myself and what it means to be a true Seminole. Service is key to a happy life and Florida State University has allowed me to not only serve my campus, but an international community as well. 

Name: Carina Tenaglia

Year: Senior

Major: Business Management & International Affairs

Hometown: Coral Springs, Florida

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

I chose to attend FSU because of the strong sense of community that students radiated when I came to visit. Florida State undoubtedly has the most beautiful campus and is surrounded by history and tradition. I felt like the traits that FSU stands for were exactly what I wanted to embody – Vires, Artes, and Mores (strength, skill, and character). Going through orientation with my passionate and enthusiastic Orientation Leader, Ricky, I knew that I made the right choice!

Serving as an Orientation Leader was the most incredible experience. I was able to learn about myself as a leader, grow with other student leaders and connect with students and family members on a personal level. Most people think of orientation as a short process during the summer, but we actually trained and worked for a year and had to learn about the type of leader we wanted to serve as. Going through this experience was so enriching, humbling and rewarding!

Name: Derrick Scott II

Year: Senior 

Major: Finance 

Hometown: Jacksonville, Florida

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

I grew up in a household surrounded by orange and blue paraphernalia. Of course, now any TRUE Seminole would break out in hives by the mere sight of such awful colors. I was never one to go with the crowd so I decided to break away from tradition and support what I now know to be the greatest institution in the country. Like most, I was first drawn in by the love of the athletics programs, but around the time I got into high school I started to do research on Florida State University’s academic programs. The business program here has produced great alumni and I knew that it was going to be a program that unlocked my business potential. I believed that FSU would be a school to challenge me and cause me to grow intellectually and morally. When I found out that this institution offered a program specifically for first generation students, I knew it was my opportunity to pave the collegiate roadmap for the next generation of my family to follow. My next goal was simply to visit and see if this “Seminole pride” felt as good as it seemed.

I first stepped onto this institution’s campus at the age of 15 with a huge smile and the daunting thought that gaining admittance would be an impossible feat. To me, this high school visit was more than just a chance to get out of class or buy an authentic jersey from the bookstore. At that moment I was the closest I had ever been to making my dream a reality. Coming from a single parent household in the inner city of Jacksonville, society had the preconceived notion that success was not in my future. I was often told that being the first in my family to graduate high school and acquire postsecondary education was a fantasy. I almost believed this to be true, until one day my mother said “Education will be the passport to your future.” When I left the campus that day, I made a promise to myself that I would get the stamp on my passport. Today I stand tall as a young man full of faith, passion and humility that is living a dream every time I walk on this campus.

My most memorable moment while attending FSU was during the summer of 2014 when I went on a trip to Germany through the Beyond Borders program. This cultural exchange program completely opened my eyes to an entire new world. I had the opportunity to become fully immersed in a culture that was completely foreign to me. In such a short period of time, the experiences I had improved my global awareness, cultural sensitivity and character. Being placed in an unfamiliar environment with some uncomfortable moments caused me to grow tremendously. 

Name: Felicia Steinberg

Year: Senior

Major: Marketing & Hospitality Management

Hometown: Cooper City, Florida

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

I decided to attend FSU because I knew that this university would be a place where I could truly develop into the best version of myself. The second that I stepped onto Florida State University’s campus, I could not help but to recognize the overwhelming sense of school spirit, dedication to campus traditions, passion for service and knowledge and promise of upholding the garnet and gold. It is for these reasons that I am grateful to be a Florida State Seminole!

Florida State University has given me memories that will last a lifetime, but those that I cherish the most are those that I was able to inspire students around me to develop into leaders for our community. From serving as a Panhellenic Recruitment Counselor and leading over 1,500 women into the Panhellenic Community to serving on the Executive Board for Dance Marathon at FSU and leading over 3,000 students to selflessly stand in honor of those who cannot – I will always cherish the opportunities that I have had to foster the commitment to leaving a legacy of leadership and service.

Name: Jacques Toussaint

Year: Senior            

Major: Sports Management 

Hometown: Orlando, Florida

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

My parents are both immigrants from Haiti who had little to no knowledge about the college process. When I was applying to college, the goal was to attend a community college and then transfer to a university close to home. One day an FSU recruiter came to my high school and gave a presentation about the university and what it had to offer prospective students. My interest was instant and I made it known afterwards as I approached her and began to inquire about the process of applying for the school. She then gave me her email address and told me she was going to make it her business to ensure my acceptance into Florida State. During the months that followed, she emailed me everyday to make sure everything was turned in and once the process was complete and she even gave me the opportunity to attend an FSU game.

When I first walked into Doak, the atmosphere was like no other and it felt like I walked into a stadium comprised of a family on a mission to defend their home. When Chief Osceola rode Renegade to midfield and planted the spear, it showed me that this was where I belonged. Florida State was a school that no matter what will always remain unconquered. It is something that I lived by throughout my whole life. I had a really rough time growing up in the United States. Not only was I an immigrant from Haiti, but also I had two parents who were very ill on top of that. I really didn’t have much hope left but at that game, all of my hope and passion to succeed came back to me. It was the true turning point of my life and ever since that day, I knew that this university was the place for me and this was the place that I wanted to call home for the next four years. 

My favorite experience at FSU was when I was given the opportunity to study abroad in London with the FSU international program in the summer of 2014. After only one week of being in London, I received a text that threw me into emotional turmoil. In this text I was told that the woman who I believe is the foundation of my life was diagnosed with breast cancer. For a moment in time my world stood still. I was 3,000 miles away, but even if I were there in the hospital there would still be nothing I could do. The students and the faculty of the program came to my aid at a time where I was in need of support most while being away from home. That moment showed me that the Seminole family is not just here in Tallahassee, not just in Panama, not just in the U.S., it’s worldwide and it will forever be one of the most unforgettable and favorite experiences here at FSU. 

Name: Jennifer Lucas

Year: Senior 

Major: Economics & Political Science

Hometown: Tallahassee, Florida

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

As a Tallahassee native born and raised, you could say that I have pretty much bled garnet and gold since the moment I took my first breath. I was the little girl running around at football games in my FSU cheerleading costume with my renegade stuffed animal horse. Throughout the years, my connection with this school grew as I attended dance intensives in Montgomery Hall each summer, swim meets in the leach and recital after recital in Ruby Diamond Auditorium. When it came time for me to apply to college, there was really only one option – Florida State University. Looking back to three years ago on my first day at FSU, I was beyond excited. I could not wait to immerse myself in the culture, get involved and experience everything this school had to offer. Little did I know that this University would bring me more joy, laughter, friendships, opportunities, strength, blessings and love than I ever imagined possible. Little did I know that Florida State would teach me about who I am, who I want to be and whom I can be if I work hard enough. 

From the moment I arrived on campus, mentors with the highest level of integrity have surrounded me. Mentors who encouraged me to follow my dreams and get involved with Student Government, Orientation, The Big Event, Greek Life, the Honors program and so much more. I would not be the person that I am today without them. The Florida State community is unlike any other. FSU really is the happiest place on earth. It is a place where you can turn to anyone on campus and strike up a conversation and have that person be genuinely excited to talk to you. It is a place where your orientation student can tell you that because of the connections they felt and the relationships they made throughout those three days they feel like a person rather than just a number at a school as large as FSU. It is a place where when you are at one of your lowest points in life, countless amounts of people pick you back up and remind you just how loved and cared for you really are. This community is one that I will forever be grateful for and proud to be a part of.

I don’t know if I can choose one memory that has been my favorite at this university because every part of my FSU experience has been incredible. However, orientation was probably one of my very favorite experiences. Having the opportunity to get to know so many incredible new students and build friendships with them as well as help be a part of their first FSU experience was incredibly rewarding. I also really loved working with 40 tremendous other leaders (orientation leaders) and becoming a part of the giant family that is orientation. 

Name: Jessica Dueno

Year: Senior

Major: Nursing

Minor: Family & Child Science and Military Science

Hometown: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

As a first generation college student, I was fortunate enough to be accepted into the 2011 C.A.R.E Summer Bridge Program. Participating in the summer bridge program with a group of mentors and faculty inspired me to excel academically and immerse myself into organizations that I could find purpose in. I knew that the Florida State University was the only institution that could nurture my strength, skill and character – offering me the tools to build upon my desire to exceed far past expectations set for me while providing me with the opportunity to give back to the community and beyond. I knew that Florida State would soon become my home away from home.

Since my matriculation at Florida State University, I have been fortunate enough to become a mentor in different organizations. Being a part of diverse tribe, a community like no other, has armed me with the leadership capabilities to be a mentor and example to other first generation college students entering the C.A.R.E program, my sisters of Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc., young R.O.T.C cadets and more. Florida State has allowed me to connect, influence and inspire other Noles on campus. For that I am thankful for because those profound experiences remind me everyday that I am a part of something bigger than myself.

Name: Katherine Plessy

Year: Senior

Major: Psychology 

Minor: Child Development

Hometown: Marietta, Georgia 

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

I decided to attend FSU because of the countless opportunities that I saw among our campus. One opportunity that Florida State has provided me with a a scholarship to play for our Beach Volleyball team. I consider it an honor and a privilege to wear a Florida State uniform. I care deeply about representing FSU in the best possible way in everything I do. I have had an incredible experience so far being able to represent FSU in many different ways both inside and outside of athletics. 

My favorite experience at Florida State so far has been getting to represent Florida State in the ACC Student Athlete Advisory Council meetings and representing both Florida State and the ACC at the NCAA Student Athlete Advisory Council meetings. At these meetings, I get to brag about our amazing traditions and what we do at Florida State. These meetings have also helped me develop as a better student and a better leader.  I also get to take ideas from other schools and bring them back to Florida State to try and make our University the best that it can be. 

Name: Laurence Thompson

Year: Senior

Major: Public Relations & International Affairs

Hometown: DeLand, Florida

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

I decided to attend FSU because after visiting campus I felt an overwhelming sense of being at home. The students I met while touring were welcoming and the campus had a northern feel that was so different from my southern hometown. I was excited to have the opportunity to be exposed to 40,000+ students within a campus that wasn’t overwhelming. 

This is a really tough question. Florida State has given me experiences where I’ve been able to build communities, establish families and have so much fun. However, if I had to choose one experience, co-hosting the Official National Championship Viewing is in my top five. Being in the Donald Tucker Civic Center filled with the greatest fans on earth as our Noles secured a National Championship was completely invigorating. The celebration throughout the city that night and in the days that followed was amazing and I will always cherish that experience.

Name: Peter Milios

Year: Senior

Major: International Affairs and Political Science

Minor: Middle Eastern Studies

Certificate: Emergency Management and Homeland Security

Hometown: Orlando, Florida 

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

I decided to attend FSU because of the quality of the political science degree along with the proximity to the state Capitol that would allow me to gain internship experience in various government offices.

My favorite experience at FSU thus far would have to be watching the football team cap an incredible, undefeated season by winning the 2013 National Championship and subsequently celebrating all night with everyone in town. 

Name: Qaree Dreher

Year: Senior

Major: Public Relations

Minor: Art History

Hometown: Apopka, Florida

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

Initially I really wanted to go out-of-state. Coming from a military family, I was used to the idea of moving around to different places. I love Virginia and wanted to go back, but it was not feasible. I ended up touring Florida State University and fell in love with the buildings (who doesn’t stand and marvel at Dodd Hall?!), culture (mentorship is a lifestyle and is valued here) and specifically our Public Relations program.

Participating in Service Leadership Seminar is easily my favorite Florida State University experience. Service Leadership Seminar is a five and a half day program facilitated by students and hosted by The Center for Leadership and Social Change. Going into college, everyone always tells you that “you’re going to find yourself,” but Service Leadership Seminar not only helped me figure out who I am, but also inspired me to commit myself to empowering others and gave me the tools to do so. Everything I’ve done at Florida State University has stemmed from the facilitators I met during the program, the challenging programming and the staff at the Center that gave me the space to reflect and grow.

Name: Tyler Trobert

Year: Senior

Major: Marketing

Minor: Communications

Hometown: Stuart, Florida

Why did you decide to attend FSU?

Growing up in a non-traditional family setting, I lived in many places throughout much of my young life. It wasn’t until four years ago on a college touring road trip that I gained an understanding of what it meant to have a home. From the very moment I stepped on its campus, I have known Florida State as my home and I will proudly call it that long after I have graduated.

By far my most fulfilling experience at FSU has been as a creative strategist and designer for the Division of Student Affairs Office of Marketing and Communications since starting there as a student three years ago. In my experience with the office, I have been able to work on a number of high-profile projects with a great deal of visibility including Homecoming, Pow Wow, Civility Week and many of the large scale events taking place at the Oglesby Union. Last summer, I had the extraordinary opportunity to work hands-on in development of a campaign for a subject that means a great deal to me for personal reasons: sexual violence prevention. After countless brainstorms, we presented the Office of the Vice President a proposal of several ideas to tackle the issue. I am fortunate enough to say that my idea and logo, kNOw MORE, was selected for campus-wide implementation. Knowing that I was able to leave my legacy with the university I belovedly call home in such a visible way for a cause that means the world to me is profoundly incredible and is one of the most rewarding things I have ever been apart of.

Editor-in-Chief, Her Campus FSU // Follow me @rachelepstein_