FSU Homecoming 2013: The 5 Events You Want to Attend

It’s the most exciting time of the year – Homecoming Week! The one week a year where you get to come together with over 40,000 of your fellow students and alumni to celebrate all the things you love about Florida State University.

Homecoming Week has long been a part of FSU tradition, and I’m thinking this year might just be its best one yet. This year’s theme, “A Legendary Spirit,” fits perfectly as 2013 marks both the 20th anniversary of Florida State’s 1993 National Championship football title (woo-hoo!), and the long awaited return of former head football coach Bobby Bowden.

Since there are so many fun events going on throughout the week, here’s a quick look at the ones you don’t want to miss:

1. Warchant Concert featuring Florida Georgia Line – Sunday (11/10)

In case you didn’t already know, Florida Georgia Line is headlining at this year’s Warchant concert! (Yes, I’m as excited as you are!) What’s even more exciting is one of the singers of the country pop duo is a former FSU baseball player! Brian Kelley, pictured to the left above, is making his way back to Tallahassee to perform for us as a kickoff event to Homecoming. Unlike years in the past, the concert will be held at the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center instead of Langford Green. Get there early and be sure to bring your valid student ID for free entry. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the show starts at 7 p.m.

2. Spear-It Night Talent Competition – Tuesday (11/12)

Spear-It Night is a fun opportunity to get together and watch in awe at the talents of your fellow FSU students! There are numerous students and organizations that participate in this event to showcase their special abilities. They are a lot of fun and actually quite impressive. Last year’s winning performance was an exciting singing and dancing musical number. Want to know what will happen this year? Find out by going to the Union Ballrooms at 7 p.m!

[ pagebreak ]

3. Homecoming Parade – Friday (11/15)

The Homecoming Parade is one of my favorite events of the week! Classes are cancelled after 1:10 p.m. this day so there’s no excuse not making it to this one! This year, we’re in for a very special treat as Bobby Bowden, Florida State’s legendary former football coach, will carry the banner as homecoming parade grand marshal. The parade is set to begin at 2 p.m. near the Civic Center and will follow a route down South Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to West College Avenue to Copeland Street. Grab a spot along the route and enjoy the floats!

4. Pow Wow featuring NICK OFFERMAN with RETTA – Friday Night (11/15)

Pow Wow is an annual evening of entertainment and laughter held on the night before FSU’s homecoming football game. Each year, FSU hosts a headlining comedian to perform at this event. Years in the past we’ve had comedians such as Adam Sandler, Dane Cook, and Larry the Cable Guy. This year, we’ll have none other than the bacon-loving, pyramid-touting Nick Offerman himself from NBC’s sitcom Parks and Recreation! Doors open at 7 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m. Bring your valid student ID for free entry!

5. Homecoming Football Game – Saturday (11/16)

To wrap up the week of festivities, we have our homecoming football game against Syracuse! Thousands of people will be filling the stands of Doak Campbell Stadium this day to watch the ‘Noles beat on the Orange. In attendance will be legendary football coach Bobby Bowden and members of his 1993 National Championship team for a celebration of their 20th anniversary. Don’t miss out on this game, as it is your last chance to celebrate Homecoming Week! Go ‘Noles! 

Kayla is a senior at Florida State University. She is majoring in Public Relations with minors in Business and Hospitality Management. Apart from taking courses and writing for Her Campus, Kayla enjoys spending time with friends, traveling, and discovering the best places around town. She hopes to work in the Hospitality PR industry after she graduates in May.   
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!