FSU Football Player Justin Shanks: Up Close and Personal

Kasey Lynch and Miranda Mauro (K&M) are out to prove that sports aren’t just for the male gender. Every week we will be giving you updates on what’s going on in the sports world as well as our own perspective on sports-related topics. “Two Girls and Some Sports” is taking the sports column to the next level. And yes, we know what we’re talking about.

Courtesy: Justin Shanks

Originally from Prattville, Alabama, Justin Shanks came to Florida State in 2012. He’s a redshirt junior with goals to go to the National Football League. I got to interview Justin about his goals as a defensive tackle, what he thinks this season holds for FSU Football and some personal questions that show more of who Justin is as a person instead of just a football player!

Her Campus (HC): Name one thing that most of your friends don’t know about you.

Justin Shanks (JS): I am actually attracted to older women.

HC: What is your favorite aspect of FSU football?

JS: Playing football is really cool but my favorite part has nothing to do with the physical sport. I love watching Chief Osceola and Renegade run onto the field to start the game.

HC: Who is the hardest working person on the team in your opinion?

JS: Definitely Nate Andrews and Dalvin Cook.

HC: Who is the most inspiring person on the football team?

JS: I’m going to repeat an answer and say Nate Andrews again.

Courtesy: Justin Shanks

HC: What are you looking forward to in the near future?

JS: I want to play in the NFL for around 5 years. After that I want to be a coach.

HC: That’s an awesome goal! What NFL team would you play for if you could be on any team that you wanted?

JS: Definitely the Steelers.

HC: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

JS: Hawaii because I enjoy surfing and being by the water.

HC: Hawaii is definitely beautiful. Now a super personal question, what did you do for Valentine’s Day?

JS: I watched the Noles play Miami in basketball and I took myself on a date.

HC: That’s awesome. What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

JS: I like to sleep, walk in the park, play video games and work out.

Courtesy: Justin Shanks

HC: What do you look for in a best friend?

JS: I look for a trustful person. Also I look for someone who is loyal, respectful and positive.

HC: Those are great qualities. What’s your favorite meal?

JS: Soul food which is great country cooking.

HC: What is your favorite childhood memory?

JS: I saved a kid from getting hit by a car.

HC: That is remarkable, could you tell us more about that experience?

JS: I was 11 at the time and this couple was too busy arguing and a kid was out in the street chasing a ball. The driver of the car wasn’t paying attention and I happened to be on my porch watching the entire thing. I ran out into the street and covered him up before the car got close. I took the hit from the car instead of him.

HC: That is absolutely inspiring. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions for me!

JS: Anytime!

Shanks and the FSU football team are training hard to prepare for the upcoming fall season. The spring game is in Orlando this April. Keep an eye out for the new recruits FSU scored last week during signing day; they’re predicted to make a huge impact on the football program!

Hello all! My name is Kasey and I am currently an English and Media Communications double major here at Florida State. I have been with Her Campus for over a year now and write for the sports column called "Two Girls and Some Sports." I love ESPN and everything outdoors. Traveling is also a very important aspect of my life! I am infamous for binge watching Netflix, making cookies and playing volleyball any chance I get.
Her Campus at Florida State University.