FSU Finally Found Its Funny Bone: The Eggplant FSU

If the only time you use the phrase “The Onion” is when you ask someone to pass it to you, then perhaps this article isn’t for you. In fact, this article is for the lovers of humor, the redditors that browse r/picturesofiansleeping, and for the masters of quick wit.

“The Eggplant” is FSU’s very own satirical magazine that was founded in 2014 by Aubrey Burrough and Houston Barber. If you haven’t read it yet, go do so now and be prepared to laugh yourself into oblivion. The titles are witty, the articles are well-penned pieces with comic genius, and they all relate specifically to FSU problems.

“Freshmen Single-Handedly Keeping Lanyard Business Alive” and “FSU Cancels Class Because It Almost Snowed, and That’s Good Enough” are two titles of the type of articles you’ll read at www.eggplantfsu.com. One clear theme seen throughout this publication is that it says what we are all too polite to say out loud. In Burrough and Barber’s opinion, everything out there seems a little boring, trying too hard to imitate Buzzfeed. Their aim is to try and reintroduce readers to the fact that articles don’t need gifs to be funny or interesting.

Image from eggplantfsu.com

In fact, there is so much material that the FSU student body presents, it is honestly a surprise no one has jumped on board. Because let’s be honest, there’s so much to make fun of (in a loving way of course).

So, who are the masterminds behind “The Eggplant?” Burrough is an Editing, Writing, and Media major and Barber is studying Creative Writing. They met through Seminole Night Life, where their bond formed over writing as well as numerous other odd topics. They both love Freaks and Geeks, Wet Hot American Summer, and High School Musical (though to be specific, the first show, the second movie’s soundtrack and the third movie’s wardrobe for Sharpay).

When they saw a need for a satirical magazine that was representative of the student body and followed suit behind “The Onion,” they jumped on board and created “The Eggplant.”

Now I know this is a lie!

Currently, it is just the two of them running the behind the scenes. They’re looking to expand not only their readership but their staff as well, and so far articles have been posted on an “as needed” basis. Make sure to check daily as they post updates as to how to get involved and where to find their articles (Tumblr and Twitter).

For those of you who think you have half the dry sarcasm talent needed to make these articles shine, send a few samples as well as a few potential headlines over to eggplantfsu@gmail.com where Burrough and Barber will “rate your funniness on a scale of the Big Bang Theory to SNL.” One other requirement? Listing you favorite TV shows. However, that’s more “so we can evaluate you as a potential friend, not article slave.”

*It’s important to note that the articles written by “The Eggplant” are satire-based and not meant to be factual or true in any way. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.