Life > Experiences

FSU Dance Professor to Choreograph for World Renowned Martha Graham Dance Company

“Dance is the hidden language of the soul of the body.” – Martha Graham

Dance has a language of its own. It is a naturally occurring testimony, manifestation and choreographic interpretation of music through the humble subjects that serve as its medium for this discourse of dance and music.

Our very own school of Dance Assistant Professor, Gwen Welliver has been invited to take part in the conversation.

Professor Welliver has been appointed by Opening Nights Performing Arts and his choreographic work will contribute to the world-renowned Martha Graham Dance Company. This is a huge deal!

Martha Graham Dance Company has been committed to leading the world in contemporary dance since its foundation in 1926. Martha Graham is often regarded as the “mother of modern dance”. Her first performance here in 1932, she frequently visited Florida State University ‘back in the day’ as a guest artist. Graham still carries on the legacy of what contemporary dance is: undeniable prestige, elegance and grace.

Graham, with much reason, is internationally acclaimed in over 50 countries for her exquisite works in choreography. Her vigorous program seeks to inspire her audiences with her choreographic genius, grouped with the amazing ideas of other newly commissioned contemporary artists. Humbly, she extends invitations to some of today’s most notable, distinguished and qualified choreographers like Professor Gwen Welliver to take part in the production of something so honorably beautiful.

Dance holds the ability to move an audience to tears, conjure laughter and call emotion to the visage of an entire assembly. Contemporary dance, specifically, has been known for years to render that kind of an effect. A mere image of a dancer in motion is enough to put you in a trance.

Courtesy: Pinterest

However, with the ‘Lamentation Variation Project’ premiering at FSU’s Nancy Smith Fichter Theatre, why be limited to photographs of the art? Especially considering the fact that it will be showcasing all of the dedication and hard work of assistant dance professor, Gwen Welliver and several other contemporary artists.

Be there or be square in support and appreciation of contemporary art, as it is exhibited through the perfected talent of note-worthy dancers and choreographers. Tickets are on sale now and can be found here. Feb. 27 will sneak up on you quicker than you know it, so definitely get your tickets as soon as possible. But if you miss it, it will premiere again on Feb. 28—Don’t miss it!

Her Campus at Florida State University.