FSU Belly Dancers Shimmy into Spring Semester

Listen closely in Ogelsby Union from room 312, because you may hear the jingles and jangles of hip scarves from the Florida State belly dancers. With hundreds of clubs and organizations on the Florida State campus, it’s hard to figure out what really speaks to you. Check out the FSU Belly Dancers to immerse yourself in culture, conquer your fears and have a ton of fun.

President Hannah Cardoso and senior Ruthie Stepakoff began teaching free beginners and intermediate belly dance classes every Tuesday this past fall semester. “The mission of the FSU Belly Dancers is to promote cultural diversity, self-esteem and good health through the art of dance. We focus on the culture and history behind the dance and recognize the privilege to be able to take part in. It is very important that we as dancers appropriately honor and respect the culture,” Cardoso said. The FSU Belly Dancers organization was founded 12 years ago and has since blossomed into the group I know and love today. The troupe performs at events on and off campus such as Relay for Life, Dance Marathon, Homecoming and Experience Asia throughout the school year. They also offer free performances to other on-campus organizations. The women who lead this group also host themed Hafla workshops and a free showcase every fall and spring semester.

Now the head of the organization, Hannah Cardoso explains that she never had any previous training in any form of dance, but thanks to the free classes taught by her predecessors and various YouTube tutorials, she became a shimmy star on various stages around campus and throughout Tallahassee.

Sophomore and intermediate belly dance participant Lovely Aristilde said, “When I first started taking classes with the belly dancers, I was nervous to learn the techniques because it was not only new but very different than anything that I’ve ever done before. Now I can belly dance in a beautifully hand-decorated bra/costume and feel so confident. I met so many great girls in the classes and I really love my teachers”.

After attending (and participating in) two or three showcases myself, I can say that this organization is one of the most diverse on Florida State’s campus. Every semester women of all heights, shapes, colors and sizes dance their heart out. There is no shortage of laughter, mentorship and good old girl power within this group. Ten out of ten would recommend taking a class.

Courtesy: FSU Belly Dance

Interested in becoming a belly dancer? Want a fun and beautiful performance at your next event? Email: bellydancersfloridastate@gmail.com

Check out their social media to learn more!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/FSUBellyDancers

Instagram: @fsubellydancers

Her Campus at Florida State University.