Freshmen: Start Checking Off These FSU Bucket List Items NOW

Now that syllabus week has come and gone, we are really getting into the meat of this semester. Complete with three quizzes per week, essays due yesterday, and a huge exam threatening to totally kill your vibe, it’s often quite easy to forget about why we chose to attend Florida State University in the first place. Other than the exceptional academics, I know I decided to call this particular school “home” for the one of a kind experiences that everyone in the history of FSU raves about. That said, I’m a junior here and I’ve only experienced maybe half of what one should experience while being enrolled at the greatest university around. For everyone who’s also lacking in the experience category, I give you a lengthy bucket list of things you must do before you put on your graduation cap.

1. Go to an FSU football game and get a picture with the Garnet and Gold Guys

It may have started out as an outrageous display of school pride, but now it’s tradition. The Garnet and Gold Guys are present at every home game, so don’t miss them! 

2. Buy a $7 water bottle at the football game

Maybe even go a little crazy and throw in an overpriced hotdog.

3. Learn the words to FSU’s Fight Song

You’re going to need this on game day when the Marching Chiefs are playing it in the stands.

4. Go to at least one sporting event for every FSU team. Go ‘Noles!

5. See FSU’s Flying High Circus

Here are the show times for Fall:

• Parents’ Weekend: September 21
  • Fall 2018 Circus Halloween Show Series:
    • Thursday, October 25 @ 7 p.m.
    • Friday, October 26 @ 7 p.m.
    • Friday, November 2 @ 7 p.m.
    • Saturday, November 3 @ 7 p.m. 

6. Go to Market Wednesday

This now takes place every Wednesday by the Union!

7. Pull an all-nighter in Strozier

We’ve all been there. It’s also pertinent that you document it on your Snapchat story with the Strozier filter.

8. Find a parking spot in Traditions garage

Or honestly, just try to find parking anywhere on campus.

9. Get a parking ticket

It’s a rite of passage that you can’t, and will not, escape.

10. Hit up White Trash Wednesday at the Strip

(Bonus points if you ride the bull at the last official WTW.)

11. Afterward, head to Gumby’s and order their iconic Pokey Sticks

You’re welcome.

12. Get thrown in Wescott Fountain when you turn 21

Or whenever you feel like it.

13. Become a professional jay-walker

And then jay-walk and avoid every crosswalk whenever possible for all of eternity (kidding.)

14. Visit The Rez

Play volleyball, go kayaking or paddle boarding, spot an alligator (yikes), rock climb and much more! Almost every activity is free for students who are currently enrolled at FSU.

15. Take a day trip to Providence Canyon

Located just about 4 hours north of Florida State University, Providence Canyon will be well worth the time you spend in the car.

Courtesy: Tawnie Simpson

16. Experience a slight mental breakdown concerning your future each semester

Maybe even experience multiple breakdowns each semester. The unknown is scary, kids.

17. Go to Potbelly’s for Happy Hour

And experience it to the fullest when you’re 21 of course!

18. Head to Food Truck Thursdays at Lake Ella

These happen every Thursday evening and are complete with live music!

19. Catch a free movie at the SLC

Yes, FSU students get to see movies for free at the SLC. In fact, Hereditary will be playing this Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 7:30 p.m.

20. Go to the North Florida Fair

There’s nothing better than some cotton candy and a semi-sturdy ride that’ll make you puke it all up! The North Florida Fair comes to the Tallahassee Fair Grounds every year from November 8-18.

Tawnie Simpson is a Senior Editing, Writing, and Media student at Florida State University. She enjoys (needs) a good cup of cold brew, she comes from a small town nobody knows called "about an hour south of Tampa" and she is often mistaken for 10-year-old Lindsay Lohan, but she's not complaining.
Her Campus at Florida State University.