A few years ago, my friend introduced me to true crime podcasts, and ever since then, I have been hooked! Over the years, I have found a few that never fail to deliver. Here are a few of my favorites:

Women Music Body Image
Photo by Mohammad Metri on Unsplash

1. Sword and Scale

“A show that reveals that the worst monsters are real,” host Mike Boudet says every episode. Sword and Scale is a personal favorite of mine. The show first aired on Jan. 1, 2014, with host Boudet, and it has been on the air for a little over six years. Every episode features a new story of various natures. According to the Sword and Scale official website, the podcast “feature[s] stories of murder, abduction, rape and even more bizarre forms of crime.” Boudet dives deep in each episode, interviewing friends and family members of victims, experts in various areas, and sometimes even the criminal themselves while painting a clear picture of each crime.

2. Criminal

The podcast Criminal is different than most true-crime podcasts. The main difference is the length. Criminal’s episodes are short compared to most podcasts, ranging from 5-40 minutes. The host and creator Phoebe Judge gives brief synopses of various crimes. Ranging from murder to arson, these bite-sized episodes are enough to satisfy any criminal junky. According to Criminal’s website, this podcast also launched in January 2014; this podcast has been going strong for six years. 

3. Crime Junkie

Crime Junkie is a podcast I have recently been introduced to and have already fallen in love with. Each episode is titled missing, murdered, serial killer, wanted, conspiracy, captured, etc. According to the Crime Junkie website, the show started on Dec. 17, 2017, with hosts Ashley Flowers and Brit. Over the past few years, the show has made a name for itself. The show’s approach is unlike the others, mainly consisting of one host telling another about some sort of crime. It is interesting because you hear someone have the same reactions that you are to various details of the crime.

Girl in front of a microphone with a friend
https://unsplash.com/@kateoseen?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText

4. The Dating Game Killer

I tend to favor podcasts that have a new story each episode, but The Dating Game Killer is the exception. According to Wondery, this podcast is about a California native Rodney Alcala who would later be known as the Dating Game Killer. He got this name after making an appearance on a very popular show during the 70s called The Dating Show. According to History, the show started in 1965, and each episode featured one woman and three men. On Sept. 13, 1978, the episode featured bachelorette Cheryl Bradshaw. She got the chance to ask the three men a series of questions while not being able to see them. At the end of the game, she got to pick one lucky man to go on an actual date with. The lucky man she chose was none other than Rodney Alcala. The six-part series details the frustrating road to his incarceration.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

I am a sophomore at Florida State University (Go Noles!) planning to major in Psychology with a minor in Philosophy. I am so excited to spend another semester writing for Her Campus! :)
Her Campus at Florida State University.