Four Movies That Will Actually Make You Feel Better Right Now

Despite it being released when I was a mere two years old, Mean Girls (2004) played a pivotal role in my life as a young teenager. The film made me laugh, it made me cry, and, most importantly, it completely  deconstructed the concept of popularity. In other words, it helped me feel comfortable in my own skin. Since my first viewing, the world of film has served as a place of great comfort for me. I know we all need some of that right now, so I’ve created a list of four films you must (re)watch while social distancing.

1) Onward (2020)

Available on Disney+, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Google Play and Vudu.

This Pixar original is *almost* guaranteed to bring you to tears; whether you’re crying from laughter, happiness, or heartbreak, you won’t finish this film unimpacted. Onward follows two teenage elves as they go on a magical quest to attempt to revive their late father. The story focuses on elements of adventure, confidence, and familial (specifically brotherly) relationships. I highly recommend to anyone with a soul.

2) The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Available on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu, Google Play, Google Play, iTunes and YouTube.

After he’s framed for the murder of his wife and her lover, Andy Dufresne is sentenced to *two* life sentences; while imprisoned, he befriends a man called Red, and together they navigate life while in prison. Everything about The Shawshank Redemption is beautifully done, from the dialogue to the character development. The plot is propelled by Red’s inner monologue, which creates a sense of intimacy between him and the viewer. So good, regardless of your usual taste in movies.

3) He’s Just Not That into You (2009)

Available on Netflix, Vudu, iTunes, Google Play, YouTube and Amazon Prime.

To be quite honest, the synopsis of this movie didn’t originally excite me. I like my rom coms to be fluffy and cheesy, and Google’s description of He’s Just Not That into You doesn’t really sound like that. This movie follows a hodgepodge of characters in their late 20s/early 30s as they navigate the dating scene in Baltimore, primarily focusing on an enthusiastic woman called Gigi Phillips. It’s funny, fast-paced and feel good; most importantly, however, He’s Just Not That into You emphasizes the fact that no relationship is perfect and that is completely fine.

4) Spider-Man: Far from Home (2019)

Available on Hulu, Sling TV, Vudu, Amazon Prime, YouTube and Google Play.

I saw this movie in theaters countless times this summer because it does something different. Ever since his creation in August 1962, Spider-Man has touched young people in a special way, because of the authentic relatability of Peter Parker. This movie expresses that in a beautiful way; taking place after the events of Avengers: Endgame (2019), Far from Home follows Peter Parker as he travels to Europe on a school trip. While *trying* to vacation, Peter has to deal with mundane teenage struggles while attempting to save the world.

Happy watching!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Passionate about plant-based eating, distance running, and Pilates. Lover of dessert, coffee shops and picnics. Probably drinking chai, listening to Taylor Swift and thinking about living in London (or maybe just scrolling through Pinterest).
Her Campus at Florida State University.