Style

Four Fashion Trends of 2020 That I Hope Are Here To Stay

This year has brought many things we never want to experience again such as a global pandemic or the uncomfortableness that is Paul Butcher’s TikTok (you know what I’m talking about). However, 2020 has also brought some of the best fashion trends that I never want to leave. I want to share with you all my four personal favorite trends from this year and some places you can snag these items for yourself.

1. Faux Leather

While faux leather jackets and shoes have been a constant staple in most people’s wardrobes, 2020 introduced us to the beauty that is faux leather pants and blazers. For me, faux leather has always been intimidating because the Florida heat is unforgiving, but this year I am obsessed with it. Faux leather blazers have replaced the classic jean jacket for many who are looking to give off that “cool girl” vibe. My personal favorite way to style a faux leather blazer is with a white tee and a pair of combat boots. Next, I would like to introduce you to the faux leather blazer’s cooler sister: faux leather pants. With so many style options from wide-leg pants to a more of a legging fit, faux leather pants are a great way for anyone to upgrade an outfit. My parents can definitely expect to see Zara’s Faux Leather Pants on my Christmas list this year. 

2. Neutrals

Samantha Riley Trend Photo
Photo by Alexis Riley
Last year, shades of neon graced Instagram and everyone’s wardrobes. The neon trend went as fast as it came because this year is all about one thing: neutrals. Shades of brown and cream are a must-have in my closet, especially during the winter months. With a shade for virtually every skin tone, neutral-toned clothes are a great basic to have in your closet. My favorite neutral piece is this Cropped Jersey Camisole from H&M in beige. I love styling this square neck top with a pair of light-wash mom jeans and white sneakers for a fun look on warmer days. 

3. Everything Y2K

Probably the trend from this year I am most excited about is the return of 2000s fashion. With cute looks ranging from corset tops and mini bags to tennis skirts and lace camisoles, I am loving everything about this trend. As a 2000’s kid myself, this not-so-new trend makes me wish I didn’t tell my mom to throw out her miniskirts and bags all those years ago. Nonetheless, there are so many affordable options out there to try out these styles such as my favorite white tennis skirt from Amazon and this black shoulder bag from Missguided.

4. Wide Calf Boots

Another trend from this year I am obsessed with and cannot wait to try is wide calf boots. I am inspired by the ever-so stylish Hailey Bieber, who is frequently seen wearing this style of boots. Style these boots with a white tee and an oversized blazer to pull off the perfect “model-off-duty” look. While you can never go wrong with a classic black boot, I am personally dying to get my hands on these white wide calf boots from  PrettyLittleThing.

Even if you are planning to spend the entirety of winter break in sweatpants at your parent’s house like me, treating yourself or your loved ones to a trendy new outfit is the perfect pick-me-up. This crazy, unpredictable year has brought so many of my favorite fashion trends and I hope that they will still be around when it is safe to show them off in public. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest

FSU ‘23
Her Campus at Florida State University.