Florida State’s Flying High Circus

Ladies and gentlemen, Seminoles of all ages: Prepare yourself to be dazzled and amazed because Florida State University’s Flying High Circus is back for their annual spring showcase. We are only one of two collegiate circuses in the nation, and are proud to uphold this unique FSU tradition since 1947.

Every two years a new theme is chosen, and this year the focus shifted from the grand “Around the World” theme to a fresh and exciting theme entitled “Platinum.” Instead of an adventure across the seas, we experienced a spellbinding performance about the world of music through popular genres. They covered a wide range of music genres: old-school hip hop, country western beats, rock, early 90’s pop and even disco! Some of the big names heard were Aerosmith, Prince, and Tom Jones.

This “Platinum” extravaganza promises to keep you on the edge of your seat. It is staged in a traditional three-ring set up where three performances are occurring simultaneously, so there is never a dull moment. To name a few, here are some of the acts you will see on the stage: Flying Trapeze, Triple Trapeze, Balancing act, Jugglers, Teeterboard, Spanish Web act, and Bike for five.

The effort and dedication that these student performers put into the circus should definitely be commended and applauded. Starting every fall semester, auditions are held for those interested in joining FSU’s circus team. They are evaluated in series of different tests—strength, flexibility, and trampoline to name a few. This is followed by a mini interview, mostly because the circus is not merely a showcase of physical talent, but performance ability as well. Depending on your results, you are chosen for an act and begin preparing for this unique experience!

Carol Perdomo, a senior and Social Work major at Florida State, is a performer in this year’s showcase. After going through the entire auditioning process, she was placed in the Spanish Web act. What she has to do is climb a rope, secure her hand in a hand loop, and do acrobatics in the air while a “web setter”, a person on the ground, spins the rope at sometimes frightening speed…and I thought doing a cartwheel was tough!

Being part of the circus was a learning experience that required “a lot of hard and dedication,” says Perdomo. Nevertheless, trying something new, meeting new people, and making lasting friendships were but a few things that made this a rewarding experience.

This “Home Show Performance Series” will last throughout the month of April. Students receive free admission so don’t miss this chance to support your fellow Seminoles as they take the stage in this year’s ‘Platinum’ showcase.

Circus Schedule

·         Thursday, April 4, 2013 – 8pm FSU STUDENTS ONLY

·         Friday, April 5, 2013 – 8pm

·         Saturday, April 6, 2013 – 2pm

·         Friday, April 12, 2013 – 8pm

·         Saturday, April 13, 2013 – 8pm

·         Sunday, April 14, 2013 – 2pm

·         Friday, April 19, 2013 – 8pm

·         Saturday, April 20, 2013 – 2pm & 8pm

Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."
My name is Mary Love and I'm a Senior and double major in English and Hotel Management at Florida State University.  I am more commonly found writing fiction pieces, and editing everything I can.  Her Campus is my first venture into published nonfiction and women's magazines.  I think Her Campus is a great resource for women who are both smart and feminine.  If you would like to contact me for an interview or to answer a Zodiac Question as Madame Mary, please email marylove@hercampus.com.