Experiencing all that “Gym Life” has to offer can either be very intimidating or very rewarding. Depending on who you ask, the response may vary. In this case, my friend Sommer talks about both aspects. As an experienced “Gym Bro,” she has been in and out of the gym for two years. Sommer maintains a weekly routine that focuses on legs on Wednesdays and Saturdays, while the rest of her weekdays are structured around her back, biceps, chest, triceps and glutes. Since moving to Florida State University, she felt the pressure and struggles with not only a new environment, but a brand new gym as well. She understood that getting into a new routine would be challenging.  

HerCampus (HC): How do you maintain a workout routine within your college routine and environment?

Sommer Hartman (SH): It’s really just a mindset. You have to commit to it and force yourself to get it done, especially if it’s what you want.

HC: What’s it like in a gym/workout environment as a woman? Do you feel a difference if there is one? 

SH: Yes, there is a constant fear that a man will come up to you and correct your form. You can really feel that you are a girl in a crowd of guys. Even doing some workouts that may seem provocative can feel uncomfortable. 

HC: How do you overcome this?

SH: Honestly, having just a “fat a*s mentality” helps a lot. Keep the goal in mind, and remember it’s a lifestyle.

HC: What made you eager to start and continue working out in the first place?

SH: The control. If you don’t like something with your body, you have the power to change it, and that is very empowering. It’s also a perfect outlet for emotions. 

HC: Do you think working out plays a big part in who you are?

SH: Yes, I think many people look at my appearance, which results from working out. It also helps you determine and accomplish a goal, and I have become really good at that through working out.

HC: If you could give one piece of advice for those starting or those who feel intimidated, what would it be?

SH: Just stick with it! It’s worth it, although it may seem slow at first. Also, dress cute when you go to the gym because you will feel SO much more powerful in a cute a*s outfit. 

HC: Most rewarding/negative part about exercising?

SH: The most rewarding thing is obviously the gains.  A negative would definitely be the mental aspect of it all. When I don’t work out, I tend to really beat myself up over it.

While the poor experiences can be draining and disheartening, she considers the positives to outweigh the negatives and ultimately has an optimistic approach with the gym and life. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Jackie is a Freshman staff writer at Her Campus FSU and majoring in Advertising.