Director James Gunn Reveals a Character Will Die in “Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3”

Guardians of the Galaxy follows the story of a character named Peter Quill (played by Chris Pratt) as he ventures through space, evading bounty hunters, aliens and the powerful villain named Ronan. During his journey, he meets and bands together with four other skilled outcasts to defeat Ronan, protect the galaxy and avoid personal consequences. In the sequel, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, the storyline continues to reveal that this group has gained a reputation as heroes and is now being hired to dispel dangerous disputes throughout space. They get hired to protect an alien race’s property, but their greed gets them in trouble. The Guardians begin another journey together that takes a detour and turns into a quest to discover the secrets of Peter Quill’s parentage. These two films created a narrative that swept viewers off their feet as well as expanded the online Marvel Cinematic Universe’s fandom.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will be the third installment in the Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy by the Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise. The first two movies were positively received and highly praised by Marvel Fans as well as film critics, with over 150 award nominations, including three Oscar nominations. When it was revealed that there would be a third space adventure to continue the story, excitement grew among fans, and any details surrounding the upcoming film were enthusiastically acknowledged.

James Gunn has been appointed director for the third film, his resume including the directorship of the previous two films in this fantasy, and he has divulged very little detail about the forthcoming film. He revealed that the soundtrack, script and casting are all complete, but that’s about all the public knows. However, in the Spring of 2021, it’s rumored that a fan asked the director if “someone will die” in the third movie; the fan anonymously reported to an account on Twitter that Gunn replied, “Yes.” The Marvel fan account, known on Twitter as @DextortoMarvel, tweeted, “James Gunn says ‘someone’ will die in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.”

The vague tweet went viral, with thousands of replies, and even caused the topic to trend on Twitter. It sparked debates about which character would be best to leave the story or which characters were essential for the plotline to continue. The discourse started by this tweet left the Marvel fandom creating theories that have been based on even vaguer detail than what is in the tweet.

One fan on Twitter, @KristinaBabe01, said that she thinks the color of the logo for the first two movies correlates with the skin color of the person who died in each movie. While that is technically true, the number of deaths in these movies is very high, and since they are based on aliens, the diversity in appearances and skin colors is vast, making it hard to single out one character that will match up with the logo.

Fans are eagerly awaiting more details before the release of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and Gunn has his work cut out for him. While the rumors and fan-made theories spin wildly out of control, production moves forward to an estimated release date of May 5, 2023. This gives fans plenty of time to continue theorizing and obsessing over the space fantasy.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us onFacebook and follow us onInstagram,Twitter, TikTok, YouTube andPinterest!

Sophie Roguski is a Junior at Florida State University, majoring in International Affairs, with a minor in Hospitality Management. She loves romcoms, celebrity gossip, and has a strong desire to travel more.