Five Things Keeping Me Busy and Sane During Quarantine

Quarantine sucks. We’ve been knew.

I’m pretty confident that you can relate to the feeling of the days starting to blend together and it feels like we’ve lost all sight of reality and the world beyond our four walls. 

Throughout the past couple of weeks, I’ve been coming up with different ways to keep me busy at home, which also keeps me in tune with my creativity. So, in light of the events occurring around the world, I thought it would only be fair to share these with you in case you needed some ideas or inspo to get crafty. 

1. Mood Boards and Collages

I have been obsessed with collaging since I was in middle school. I have boxes full of old Seventeen magazines and Vogue issues that I used to cut up and put together for vision boards and whatnot. As of late, they’ve been getting a lot of attention thanks to Tik Tok and social media. So, I’ve ditched the magazines and resorted to my good friends, Canva and Photoshop. One of my favorite things about Canva is its wide selection of premade templates that you can change according to your personal style, and it is super user friendly! I’ve made iPhone wallpapers and desktop wallpapers with my favorite pictures of friends, artists or pieces of inspiration and art. I highly recommend trying to make one of your own; it’s a great way of personalizing your phone or computer with cute pictures and designs!

Fran\'s Moodboard
Fran Casaine

2. Sidewalk Chalk

I’m perfectly content channeling my inner child and getting filthy drawing with chalk on my driveway. Before the stay-at-home order was put in place, I went to the store and bought quite a few containers of sidewalk chalk, and let me tell you it was one of the best decisions I’ve made. After dinner, I go outside as the sun sets and draw stuff. I find it relaxing and reminds me of being a kid. I think sidewalk chalk deserves a good comeback. 

3. Driving

I know this one seems kind of obvious, but I’m adding it to the list because it’s been my favorite way to get out of the house without interacting with other humans. Let’s not forget that gas is super cheap right now, so I’m definitely taking advantage of that and hitting the back roads in my hometown with a bomb playlist. 

4. Beauty & Makeup

I know you might be thinking, the last thing I want to do is put on a full face of makeup for no reason and ditch my sweatpants. I totally understand. However, for the days that seem completely boring, I’ve noticed that getting dressed up helps a little bit. I’ve bought a few Morphe palettes, stacked up on some brushes, and it gets me out of my funk every now and again. Doing your makeup is also a great opportunity to take some photos around the house and update your Instagram or maybe even do someone else’s makeup for fun! Facemasks and mani-pedis are also highly recommended. An improvised spa day never hurt anybody. 

5. ‘Upcycling’ and Revamping Household Items

Now hear me out. This has been my favorite thing to do since I’ve been home. Since I moved out of my parents’ house, my old room has some of my old decor that just doesn’t do it for me anymore. I ran to the store a few weeks ago and stacked up on spray paint and acrylics, and I’ve been painting just about everything I touch. I find that by doing this I also get rid of stuff and donate old pieces that I don’t have use for. However, salvaging old decor pieces by sprucing them up has been lots of fun, and a great way of taking pieces of home with you to school. 

I’m certain that by now we are all itching to get back in our element and see our friends again. But given the circumstances, we have to make do with what we’ve got. I’ve been keeping myself busy by channeling my creativity in different tasks, but I’ve also developed new ones. Now is the perfect time to take up a hobby or two that you’ve been dying to try. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Hi there! My name is Fran and I am a sophomore at Florida State University. I am a freelance blogger aside from being a full-time student and participating in campus activities and organizations. I am an aspiring influencer and hope to grow my audience to inspire people to embrace their individuality and share their stories. To see more of my work and passions follow me on instagram @francasaine and keep in touch!
Her Campus at Florida State University.