Five Fabulous Drag Queens

RuPaul

Perhaps the most well-known drag queen of all time, RuPaul takes on the title of “Supermodel of the World.” She was inspired to do drag early on by Diana Ross, and now Ru has several hit songs, TV shows, a makeup line at Mac, two books (one autobiography and one self-help guide), and dolls based on her with clothes designed by Jason Wu. Yes, the fashion designer who made the dress Michelle Obama wore to the inauguration also designed clothes for a RuPaul action figure. RuPaul’s successful career took flight in the 1990’s when she became a staple in the gay club scenes in Atlanta and New York. She had a talk show on VH1 called The RuPaul Show and went on to host the drag-themed reality TV show RuPaul’s Drag Race as well as the short-lived show DragU where biological women were given makeovers and subsequent confidence boosts by drag queens. RuPaul continues to inspire the masses, teaching people of all genders to love themselves because “if you can’t love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?”

Divine

Cult figure Divine was a forerunner in the counterculture movement of the 1960’s. She was associated with filmmaker John Waters with whom she collaborated for such films as Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble. Divine was named People Magazine’s “Drag Queen of the Century.” That’s a pretty ambitious title, but if anyone deserves it, it’s Divine. Edna Turnblad, the mother in the 1988 film version of the critically acclaimed musical Hairspray, was possibly Divine’s most notable role. However, there’s another large-and-in-charge female character Divine had a part in: Ursula from Disney’s The Little Mermaid was actually inspired by the world-famous drag queen. The sea witch’s over-arched eyebrows and bodacious body were clearly based on Divine’s own exaggerated version of the female form. How many other people can say a Disney villain was inspired by them?

Willam Belli

Despite having been kicked off the fourth season of RuPaul’s Drag Race for breaking part of his contract, Willam Belli continues to shock the masses in the most entertaining way possible. Willam was nominated as the Most Addictive Reality Star in the 2012 NewNowNext Awards if that’s any testament to his immense following. He’s been featured in oodles of TV shows and movies, including Nip/Tuck, Glee, and CSI: NY. Willam is also one of the members of the all-drag-queen musical group DWV (named after its members: Detox Icunt, Willam Belli, and Vicky Vox). DWV creates high quality parody songs such as “Boy is a Bottom” based off Alicia Keys’ “Girl on Fire.” Willam’s bad-girl attitude has gotten him in trouble in the past, but that’s exactly why his fans love him so much.

Mother Flawless Sabrina

The 1960’s were a time of immense civil rights progression, and Mother Flawless Sabrina was right there with the great civil rights leaders, serving as a trailblazer for the gay liberation movement. She was out loud and proud in a time where coming out meant potentially risking your life. She achieved a great deal of fame after starring in the documentary “The Queen” which debuted at the Cannes Film Festival. Mother Flawless Sabrina would organize drag pageants in Philadelphia where at the time, there were local laws prohibiting cross dressing. She was willing to break the law because in her heart, she knew what was right. And discrimination is certainly never right. Despite currently being well into her seventies, Mother Flawless Sabrina is still known to climb up on countertops at bars and put on quite an impressive show.

Ivy Winters

Not only can she juggle fire and walk on stilts, Ivy Winters can also hand-make a dress in no time at all out of photographs of her own face (as seen on RuPaul’s Drag Race Season Five). As an ex-circus performer, Ivy is the ultimate showgirl. She’s multi-talented and has a gorgeous face to boot. Being a talented seamstress is one thing, being able to sew a party dress out of deflated beach balls is another thing entirely. Ivy has actually made a business out of sewing custom-made outfits for drag queens in New York City. She’s made costumes for such queens as Lady Bunny and Manila Luzon.

Her Campus at Florida State University.