As someone who is organized and well-prepared, I would have never imagined that we would be living in such unprecedented times. Despite this change in school and life, it is important that we embrace the unknown and prepare for the few things that we can control. In this case, we can always have our five Zoom University essentials that make us feel somewhat prepared for our online classes. Here are a few ways to embrace our new reality as students and use these essentials to our advantage.

woman sitting at laptop
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

1. Iced Coffee Stainless Steel Straws: There is nothing like drinking your morning coffee each day. It is all about the experience of waking up and sipping that first-morning coffee. As an avid coffee drinker, I have learned to enjoy my iced coffee while I am in classes. Finding the perfect blend of that dark roast coffee and French vanilla creamer has made my early morning classes just a little easier. I sip my iced coffee with these affordable stainless-steel straws. For less than $5, you can have a set of eight stainless steel straws, two straw cleaners and a small bag to store your straws. They are great for the environment and easy to clean as each pack comes with two straw cleaners. It is an efficient and affordable way to avoid putting my mouth on the glass.

2. Lounge Wear from Target: You may have heard, “You do not go to Target because you need something. You go to Target and let Target tell you what you need.” One of the positive aspects of Zoom University is being able to wear any type of loungewear in class… Although, I do not really think in-person classes stopped students from doing so. In the women’s pajamas and loungewear section, Target has the coziest and softest lounge pants. They come in different colors and prints. To pair with your lounge pants, Target also sells matching sweatshirts and tops. Not only will you be comfortable in class, but you will also be sporting cute and matching apparel.

3. Blue Light Glasses: Being on a computer or device can sometimes be bothersome for our vision and can potentially lead to vision problems in the future. Blue light glasses are great protective eyewear for whenever you are using a device. The lenses of the blue light glasses help reduce glares that tend to get in the way of our viewing. By reducing the glare, your vision is relieved from constantly viewing a screen. Although I have prescribed glasses, my roommate, Emily, uses her blue light glasses and knows her vision will not worsen from Zooming all day.

4. Planner: As someone who is taking five classes at FSU, I can be overwhelmed with the number of assignments that are given. However, whenever I write my weekly schedule on a planner, I feel like my life is just a bit more organized. Every year, I invest in a planner in order to write events, assignments and to-do lists for not only the week but the rest of the semester. As teachers post due dates on Canvas, I use my planner to keep myself organized and on-task. I usually get my planner at Target, but these planners can be found at many local stores. It is a great feeling to be able to cross things off my planner as I get them done.

5. School Logo: What better way to show my pride for my university than to represent it anyway I can. Whether it is a pen with your school’s logo or even a shirt with your school’s logo, be proud of what university you attend. Support your alma mater… Go Noles!

With these five essentials, you will be prepared for Zoom University. Happy shopping and happy Zooming!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hi everyone! My name is Sofia Cabrera, and I am majoring in English and double minoring in education and hospitality management at Florida State University. As someone who is passionate for writing, I hope to use this platform as a way to share my experiences and have others learn about things that interest me and have influenced my life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.