The holidays this year are going to be a time of movies and couch sitting activities, along with the occasional family dinner. Although there isn’t much to put us in the holiday spirit like Christmas parties or the usual holiday celebration, there are certain movies we can watch with our loved ones or simply by ourselves! With so many to choose from like comedies, classics and romance films. I gathered a list of five of my personal favorite films that include comedy, classic and romance so everyone can find something they like for this holiday season.

Laura Mueller

1. A Christmas Story

The 1983 film “A Christmas Story” has been a family classic for decades and continues to play on hallmark channels every Christmas day. This movie is the perfect classic family holiday comedy. It is perfect for post-Thanksgiving festivities to put you and your loved ones in the Christmas spirit, or the perfect movie to gather around on the couch and have a few friends over to watch together.

2. Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch

The Grinch is a perfectly done holiday film with scenes the whole family can enjoy. Not to forget, there are two versions of this classic film available. Jim Carry’s version of The Grinch is personally my favorite, you can never go wrong with it. The newer animated DreamWorks version of The Grinch came out in 2018 starring Benedict Cumberbatch and many other amazing voices. The movie also gives a modern twist on the melodies included, its soundtrack is one of the more diverse holiday movie soundtracks including songs from Brockhampton, Tyler the Creator and many other modern artists. The Grinch is such a holiday classic, you can never go wrong with it!

3. Planes, Trains and Automobiles

The 1987 American classic is a perfect movie to watch with your family. The story of a husband trying to get home to spend Christmas with his wife and going through obstacles just to get there on time. Your parents have definitely seen this film and it would be great to watch it for the first time with them if you’ve never seen it before! It is the perfect mixture of comedy and heartwarming family moments that will put you in the best holiday mood.

4. Why Him?

The comedy starring James Franco isn’t so much of a holiday classic but more of a film to put on for you and your girlfriends this season. The heartthrob James Franco and beautiful Zoey Dutch star in this holiday comedy that is sure to be the best holiday chick flick.

5. Home Alone

You can never go wrong with the holiday classic itself, Home alone. This is probably the most known Christmas film ever and definitely continues to be generation after generation. The 1990 classic film starring Macaulay Culkin and other familiar faces is sure to bring you and your family smiles and laughs!

This list of films has something for everyone to choose from! Comedies, romance and classics such as Home Alone and The Grinch, everyone will be in the holiday spirit. Get comfy, make some hot cocoa and popcorn and cuddle up on the couch with your favorite people to watch some holiday classics!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

I am a sophomore studying psychology! I am also a new member to HC and excited for everything coming soon!
Her Campus at Florida State University.