Style > Decor

Five Beginner-Friendly Plants You Definitely Won’t Kill

In a year when every turn feels unfamiliar comes a newfound love for moments of simplicity. 

Through the perils of this year, many people have found solace in plants, and one of those people is me. My living space has been inhabited by all things green. Within a few weeks of being a plant mom, I slowly learned the ropes and felt an ungodly amount of joy anytime I saw my plants growing a new leaf. Soon enough my one plant turned into seven and my four-bedroom college apartment turned into our own forest.  

If you’re not ready to commit to an entire jungle, just a houseplant or two will make a statement in your space, as long as you know, keep it alive. There’s nothing sadder than seeing your new plant baby browning from “loving it too much” (otherwise known as overwatering). These are five of the most beginner-friendly plants that I guarantee you won’t kill.  

1. Pothos

You know that viney plant we’ve all come to know and love. Well, that plant is called a pothos. Pothos are the most rewarding to have and luckily for you also one of the easiest to care for! This plant doesn’t need much sunlight, however, you’ll get the best results if you put it near a window. Soon enough your plant’s vines will reach and drape across your wall just like the fake ones people buy!

Bonus: It only needs to be watered about once a week. 

2. ZZ Plant

zz plant
Photo by Pino Nguyen from Unsplash
A ZZ plant likes to be left alone. This plant is basically indestructible, thriving in near dark conditions with little to no water. Much like a pothos, a ZZ plant will grow beautifully and quickly, surviving all throughout the year. A ZZ might not look too impressive but its waxy, green leaves will leave you swooning. 

Bonus: Only water it once the soil is completely dry. 

3. Monstera Deliciosa

monstera plant on top of soda machine
Photo by Kelsey Knight on Unsplash
This bad boy has become the trend this year and I mean how could it not ? Its leaves are huge and split resulting in lovely fenestrations. This baby lives in low to medium light and only needs to be watered every seven to 14 days. Misting the leaves will also help with new growth and will keep your leaves looking shiny. If you want an accent to any room, this plant is definitely it. 

4. Dracaena

Dracaena, otherwise known as “dragon” plant, comes in all shapes and sizes making them one of the most versatile-looking plants on this list. I own two and they are both wildly different. One is green with yellow polka dots while the other has thin red and green leaves with an almost tree-like trunk. This plant does best in low to medium light, so keep them away from direct sunshine.

Bonus: Water it when the soil is completely dry. 

5. Snake Plant

snake plant
Photo by Kelly Sikkema from Unsplash
Not only does this plant look like the fire emoji, but it’s also one of the easiest plants to care for. Unlike most succulents, the snake plant grows tall and can thrive in any pot you put it into meaning you never have to worry about repotting it! Snake plants are known to purify your air and only need to be watered about once a month. 

These five plants will never let you down, and good for you, are relatively cheap. So if you’re trying to find something to do why not check your local plant nursery and get yourself a new plant baby!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Janelle is a Mass Media Communications and International Affairs student at Florida State University. She loves binging youtube videos and can be seen watching anything from animation reviews to conspiracy theories. If you ever want to talk Film, Janelle is your gal.
Her Campus at Florida State University.