I can’t think of a time of year I dread more than finals week. With just a few tests, you can either pass or fail a class, and there’s no telling how important those classes are. If you’re planning to graduate… Well, good luck.

Growing up, I wanted to be the person who would have the self-discipline to study well in advance for finals week so I wouldn’t be too stressed. I didn’t want to be the person who crammed the night before an exam. Somehow, I landed in the middle. At least, let’s pretend I’m in the middle. 

Overall, there seem to be a couple of different ways to study for finals, and there are plenty of women who have exhibited them. These are definitely not all the ways to study, but the ones I see most often around campus. 

Elle Woods/Blair Waldorf

Legally Blonde; Gossip Girl

If you do so well in the months leading up to the exam, you don’t have to worry too much about finals. But you still do because leaving anything up to chance simply isn’t an option. Along with everyone else, you’re heading to Strozier with practice tests, Quizlets and plenty of coffee to get you through hours of study groups. It will all be worth it though, because Elle and Blair haven’t found something they can’t learn. 

Cristina Yang/Rory Gilmore/Hermione Granger

Greys Anatomy; Gilmore Girls; Harry Potter

I can’t talk about studying and not mention these ladies. These are the students we all wish we were: brilliant, focused and annoyingly successful—all while making it look effortless. Instead of meeting up with others before finals week, these three stick to studying on their own so no one can interrupt them. And we all know how that works out. What is funny about these three is that they don’t need all the extra material to review with. You can put a textbook down in front of them and they can do just as well with that as someone else can with Quizlets, practice questions, etc. 

Elastigirl/Shuri 

The Incredibles; Black Panther

One, as a superhero in her own right, juggles a family and job all at once. Shuri, the princess of Wakanda, proves that some attitude makes the world go round. While very different, they would most likely be in the library with their computers open and an iPad to take notes on. With pastel colors and diagrams, we all wish we had their notes. Their work ethic would be undeniable because people constantly go up to them and ask for help. They are definitely the ones to look at on how to study for finals week without hurting your mental health. If you’re like them, you’ll usually take small study breaks and close the laptop for just a few minutes to recharge.

Izzie Stevens/Elizabeth ‘Beth’ Harmon/Bonnie Bennet

Grey’s Anatomy; The Queen’s Gambit; The Vampire Diaries

These three rarely raise their hands in class or draw too much attention to themselves, but their brilliance is hard to ignore. Like Elastigirl and Shuri, they stick to themselves, but also find people who want to bounce ideas off one another. What better way to learn than to ask and then answer questions? You might find these three in a private study room at Dirac or Strozier so they can talk freely about what concepts they are really struggling with and maybe some tips they have gotten from the TAs. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Here at FSU, I am completing a degree in International Affairs with a minor in French. When I'm not in school or working, I love to read and work out. My passions include environmental activism and learning about human rights abuses occurring throughout the world.