MAIN PHOTO, of Westcott
MAIN PHOTO, of Westcott
Bella Bozied
Life > Academics

Best Places To Study in Tallahassee: On and off Campus!

The time is upon us! The part of the semester that always seems to creep up quicker than anyone could have thought: finals week.

It’s a bittersweet moment, as the presence can make anyone crumble with anxiety, but the future of a few weeks off is enough motivation to push us to really get that study time in. Getting the work done is hard enough, so why further stress yourself out with finding a study place? Here are the top places to study on and off-campus in Tallahassee!

Calvin’s COffee House

Right by Westcott Fountain, Calvin’s Coffee is the perfect place to grab a drink and sit for hours in a comforting aura to get some work down. It’s very cozy with an outdoor area perfect to clear your mind at a picnic table, and inside holds couches and a wide array of tables and chairs. There are also quite a few accessible electrical outlets here, so you won’t have to worry about finding one when it’s too late. It’s even nicer because Calvin’s Coffee is not too close to the busier parts of campus, but not too far from parking!

Strozier Library (but wait, there’s more)

This and Dirac are the hottest places to be as finals approach, but here’s where some of the best seats are. I always head straight to the third floor of Strozier, as it’s a great in-between of some light chatter if you don’t want to feel conscious about your footsteps and just enough quiet where you can put headphones in and feel at peace. I then go all the way to the back area and try to score one of the high desks window seats. The windows are high enough where you can’t get distracted by people watching but bring you enough light to push you to stay focused! I also appreciate the tables by the study rooms on floor one. It can get a bit louder down there in ‘Club Stroz’ though, so be cautious. If you find yourself running on 30 minutes of studying and no sleep with an 8 a.m. final the next day, definitely check out the fifth floor.

Mina Jo Powell Green

This green space is the area right by the music buildings and behind Westcott Fountain! It’s an easy place to always find a spot and either lay a blanket out and clear your head or hang a hammock and get some work done! Super central to campus, so not too far of a walk as well, while also providing a quiet work area.

Benches behind Suwannee Dining Hall and Tables outside Strozier Library

Personally, I prefer studying inside because I need the desk space to spread all my things out, but I’ve found that these spots are where my creative ideas flow the best. If I ever need inspiration for a paper or project, I trek to the benches in front of Reynolds and Bryan Hall. It’s usually very secluded as well, so a perfect place to once again feel concentrated but have the outdoors to keep you awake. 

If you make it all the way to Strozier but just can’t find any space inside, try the tables out front! They may be hard to come by but can be some of the best places to clear your head and motivate yourself. There are also outlets by some of the benches, and the Starbucks and Einstein Bagels close by!

Speed Round:

• William Johnson Building
    • On-campus, loved by all and the perfect place to stay stimulated as you work.
  • Serenity Coffee and Kava Bar
    • Located in Railroad District, so farther away from campus but not too bad of a walk during the day! A smaller, more intimate place, to grab a coffee or lunch as you finish up some edits on a paper!
  • Second floor of GreenWise
    • This is a fan favorite and hot place to study, but it is worth the walk and lives up to the hype. It’s relatively quiet, with just enough buzz so you don’t feel awkward if you make any noise typing on your laptop. Also perfect to get lunch or a snack at as well, and not too far of a walk off-campus.

Remember wherever you go to study always bring:

• A snack or two, maybe even lunch if you’ll be out all-day.
  • A water bottle.
  • Phone and laptop charger.
  • A notebook and pencil in case you need any scratch paper.
  • Money to treat yourself to a coffee or pick me up.
  • And maybe even a friend or two! Sometimes company can truly put you in the right headspace to focus.

Getting solid study time in is all about the mindset you hold. Choosing a good environment to surround yourself in is the first step and hopefully, these places can help you get there. Remember to breathe, focus and study; happy finals week!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Bella Bozied is an Information, Communication, and Technology (ICT) and Editing, Writing and Media (EWM) double major at Florida State University. She is working towards a future within the social media and writing/journalism industry! She currently serves as the President for her Her Campus Chapter!