Everyone loves this fall buffet holiday, we’ve all been looking forward to the fabulous food all year. Sadly, it tends to be an overlooked holiday fitting right between Halloween and Christmas, which usually steal all the hype. There’s never anything centered on Thanksgiving; no notable holiday songs, no T.V. shows – unless you count the themed Friends or Bob’s Burgers episodes – no movies. I mean, Hallmark is already playing all their Christmas features! Thanksgiving is oftentimes skipped over, which is why it’s hard to get in a festive mood. Nevertheless, here are some fun ways to enjoy the last month of fall without jumping right into the December holidays.

1. Go Apple/Citrus Picking!

A good apple orchard is difficult to come across in Florida, so if you aren’t willing to take a road trip somewhere, you can find your local citrus farm. Peak season for Oranges is anywhere from October to June but be sure to call in advance to make sure their season has started! are a few suggested orchards. This is perfect to spice up your fall feed for Instagram!

2. Bake a Pumpkin Pie from Scratch!

Wondering what you’re going to do with all those decorative pumpkins you bought this year from the pumpkin patch? Use them to bake a pumpkin pie! Use the recipe as guidance. Make all the crafty Martha Stewart types in your life jealous AF with your baking skills.

3. Create the Perfect Thanksgiving Table

Courtesy: Elle Decor

You can also use all those leftover decorative pumpkins to create a beautiful centerpiece for your table! Impress your family with your keen eye for color.

4. Learn Some Easy Recipes for Friendsgiving 

Courtesy: Budget Bytes

Impress your friends with a delicious recipe that will become your new signature dish. I did this a few years ago with my homemade Spinach Artichoke Dip. Everyone always asks me to make it around this time of year and I don’t have the heart to tell them I got it from the Tastemade Snapchat Story (I guess the secret is out now). Find the recipe, or create/find your own signature recipe elsewhere. 

5. Treat Yo’Self to a Shopping Spree

Personally, I know any fall holiday would not be complete without the perfect fall ‘fit. Warm and cozy sweaters are a MUST, especially in this dreary Tallahassee weather. Buy the perfect fall outfit, complete with boots, thick socks and a snuggly sweater. Rock your IG page, girl!

6. Family and Friends

Finally, what Thanksgiving would be complete without the ones you love? Spending time with our family and friends is what this holiday is all about right? Why don’t you take this time to cook with your mom and learn how to cook your favorite Thanksgiving recipe? Or wake up early to watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade like you’re a kid again? I know I’ll be spending the following Saturday watching the Florida vs. Florida State game with my dad. Push yourself to spend this time doing things with the people you love instead of working on your term papers and final projects. This is something we’re all guilty of doing, but try to enjoy the holiday as it was intended. Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Rebecca is a junior at FSU majoring in creative writing. She enjoys reading novels until midnight (okay, maybe 2:00 AM), binge-watching shows on Netflix, and hiking in the mountains of North Carolina.
Her Campus at Florida State University.