The Feminist Playlist You Need in Your Life

Do you ever feel like you need a girl power playlist that makes you feel like the superstar you truly are? Look no further! Here is the feminist playlist you need in your life!

1. “***FLAWLESS” by Beyoncé

Beyoncé is a modern day staple for feminism. “Flawless” hit the music scene and was a complete game changer. For the first time, Beyoncé had used dialogue in her song from none other than Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. In this dialogue, Chimamanda explains feminist issues such as marriage, sexuality, and work. She also ends the excerpt by defining what feminism really is. This song makes you feel flawless in every way!

“Feminist: the person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, “We Should All Be Feminists”

2.“Try” by Colbie Caillat

Colbie surprised the world with this heartfelt, empowering song. In it, she highlights the way women and young girls try to fit a certain mold that society niches them into. She then tells her listeners that they are perfect the way they are and they don’t have to try to be anything else. Her music video shows women of all body types without makeup, just showing their raw beauty. It is a moving song that can really teach women to accept themselves for who they are.

“You don’t have to try so hard/ You don’t have to bend until you break/ You just have to get up, get up, get up, get up/ You don’t have to change a single thing” –Colbie Caillat

3.“Can’t Hold Us Down” Christina Aguilera/ Lil’ Kim

Christina Aguilera is a known feminist who is not afraid to speak her mind. In this song, she and Lil’ Kim smash the stereotypes forced upon them. They focus primarily on the negative reaction society has when a woman has an opinion, paired with the inequality of the expression of sexuality between the sexes. This anthem really lets her listeners know that you can have opinions without being “bossy,” and can be a sexual being without feeling as if they have done something wrong.  

“The guy gets all the glory for the more he can score/ While the girl can do the same but yet you call her a whore/ I don’t understand why it’s ok/ The guy can get away with it the girl gets named” –Christina Aguilera

4. “Get on Your Knees” by Nicki Minaj/Arianna Grande

Nicki Minaj is no stranger to utilizing her sexuality in her music. “Get On Your Knees” smashed the social norm of women only pleasing men in sexual encounters. It shows a woman being assertive with her sexuality rather than being submissive or passive about receiving equal pleasure from her partner. Nicki straight up says get on your knees and please me the way I do for you. This is empowering for a woman to say because it shows her confidence in her sexuality. Go on with your bad self, Nicki!

“Give me brain, assume the position/ Make me way smarter like you was a magician” –Nicki Minaj

5. “I Don’t Need A Man” by Pussycat Dolls

This track from the Pussycat Dolls is the definition of independent women. They are basically letting the men that are approaching them know that they don’t need a man to be fulfilled versions of themselves. All they want out of men are honest, loving relationships. They have their lives together and do not seek out men to help them in life. They don’t need a man; they want a man.

“I don’t need a man to make it happen, I get off being free/ I don’t need a man to make me feel good, I get up do my thing” –Pussycat Dolls

6. “Miss Independent” by Ne-Yo

Men can be feminists? Of course! Ne-Yo dedicated a whole song praising the independent women of the world. This is such a positive thing to hear from a man because some men are intimidated by a powerful, independent woman who can care for herself. Good for you, Ne-Yo!

“She got her own thing, that’s why I love her/ Miss Independent won’t you come and spend a little time” –Ne-Yo

Marisa is a junior at Florida State University. She is majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She aspires to work as a journalist for a magazine when she graduates. She is very excited to not only be a staff writer, but also a content editor for Her Campus FSU this year. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.