As this year’s awards season comes to an end, it’s time to start searching for the greatest films of 2020. February has always been a big month for film releases. The films below are in theaters now. Check them out!

popcorn
Pixabay

Downhill

This dramatic comedy movie starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell follows a family ski trip gone wrong as a couple contemplates their relationship after nearly dying from an avalanche. It is a nearly exact replica of the 2014 Swedish film Force Majeure. Overall, the movie has received rather negative reviews. According to The New York Times, the film is “annoying” and “a small disaster.” However, if you’re a fan of dramedy and a star-studded cast, this film began showing in theaters on Valentine’s Day.

The Photograph

This romantic drama film has received fantastic reviews compared to Downhill. Also debuted on Valentine’s Day, this film follows a young woman, played by Issa Rae, whose mother has recently died. She comes across a photograph of her deceased mother and sets off on an investigation into her early life, finding romance with a handsome journalist, played by Lakeith Stanfield, along the way. According to The New York Times, the performances in The Photograph are outstanding, especially when it comes to Stanfield, who previously unleashed his talents in Sorry to Bother You and Atlanta.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

While it was given a limited release in Dec. of 2019, Portrait of a Lady on Fire was widely released in the United States on Feb. 14. The film follows a forbidden affair of two women in the 18th century after one is commissioned to secretly paint a portrait of the other, who is a reluctant bride-to-be. According to USA Today, the film “gets brilliantly to the truth of how and why we fall in love, and replicates that sensation – and the heartache that follows.”

Fantasy Island

This supernatural horror film is based on ABC’s 1977 Television show of the same name. In the movie, several guests are flown out to a tropical resort where they are to be gifted with their deepest (and darkest) desires. According to the New York Post, each guest’s plotline is based on a classic, more well-known horror movie, such as Saw and The Shining. Fantasy Island is rumored to have an interesting plot twist, which has so far been successfully kept under wraps. So, you’ll have to head out to the theater to see what it is!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Alyce Rogers is a freshman at Florida State University majoring in public relations. She enjoys writing about movies, music, and study tips.
Her Campus at Florida State University.