burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Fashion Trends You Need to Know from the Spring 2019 Runways

New year, new trends. Time flies in the fast-paced fashion world; while some of us are still trying to find that perfect wool sweater to match our suede boots, designers are ahead of us to Summer/Spring 2019. Gone are the days of Balenciaga’s oversized outwear, Versace’s logo mania prints and Gucci’s floral fabrics as we mark the beginning of the newest trends for this new year straight from the runaway. There is a lot to embrace this season such as, pattern-braking colors, the return of the 80s and 60s, a change from black to white, and colorful pieces that will help us get through the weather without losing style. As you try to make room in your closet for the 2019 pieces, here are the trends everyone will be wearing this year.

Butter Yellow

Sea Green and ­­­Poppy Red had their moments in Fall 2018. Although Pantone’s color choice for 2019 may be Living Coral, this spring all the eyes will be on butter yellow (as I call it because Pantone hasn’t come up with a name – yet). This sunny soft shade walked in Rodarte’s display of fanciful dresses and Escada’s trench coats. Together with Tibi’s pantsuit set, Spring ’19 is looking bright already so pick a yellow dress – or two – before the weather turns from freezing to over-heated.

Rodarte Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

Escada Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

Tie Dye

I never thought this groovy style could be for me but after these catwalks, I might be getting a funky piece soon. Of course, you can always choose a colorful top like the ones from R13 and Prabal Gurung, but there is always the option for a more serious and calmer pattern such as the one chosen by Eckhaus Latta. (I have to say, I saw Kaia Gerber on the R13 runway last year and I don’t think anyone else could pull off this 60s inspired look quite as well).

R13 Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection​

Eckhaus Latta Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

Matching Sets

We are so happy we don’t have to think about matching clothes anymore, that’s why we are so thankful for matching sets. Brands such as Frame have claimed dibs on this trend by introducing a cropped jacket and shorts sets in its Pre-Fall 2019 collection. Meanwhile, Matthew Adams Dolan decided to exchange long trousers for shorts that matched his shiny green blazer; while Monse opted for classic denim over denim set for guys.

Frame Pre-Fall 2019 Collection

Matthew Adams Dolan Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

Monse Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

Little White Dress

Time has come for you to get rid of that LBD and change it for an LWD. You will no longer have to wait for that white dress because designers have given us plenty of options so far. While Kate Spade’s runaway had a summery style, Ulla Johnson’s opted for a rustic but yet refined look, and Phillip Lim chose a nomadic mood. None of the dresses were similar to the previous or even close enough to the next one.

Kate Spade Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

Ulla Johnson Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

3.1 Phillip Lim Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

Vests

The new outerwear for this spring is as simple as a vest, according to the runaways. Isabel Marant debuted this street-styled vest with her denim-based collection, totally opposing Anna Sui’s boho-inspired print. Regardless of whether you choose to use Eckhaus Latta’s only-vest-style or not, this piece of outwear is the perfect transition as we move through the seasons.

Isabel Marant Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

Anna Sui Spring 2019 Ready-to-Wear Collection

Puff Sleeves

Haven’t the 80s come and gone? Nope, not yet. The 80s style will still be here for a while early this year. Indeed, according to Google, the 80s were one of the top fashion searches back in 2018, which makes sense if we take a look at the SS 19 runaways. Rodarte incorporated this trend in his white matching set; however, Ulla Johnson thought it would look better in a boho jumpsuit. So far, Nicola Glass did a pretty good job on her first collection for Kate Spade bringing back the 80s via a floral dress. Will it be too soon to dig into mom’s closet for vintage finds?

All images courtesy of Vogue.

Peruvian and with 18 years old, she is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Communication and minoring in Recreation and Events. She loves everything related to fashion and photography; and after graduation she aspires to put her skills and attitudes to work at a major fashion publication. Follow her on Instagram @valeeriva.
Her Campus at Florida State University.