The “F” Word and Why People Need to Learn It’s True Meaning

Feminism: The theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes, (Merriam-Webster Dictionary). This is the official definition of the word feminism, regardless of what many uniformed people may think it is. You would expect that a concept as simple as this would be easy to understand, however for many, it is not. Far too many people have their own incorrect version of the meaning and oftentimes add a negative connotation to it. It is extremely important that in today’s society, everyone knows the true definition and what it stands for, without being tricked into believing it is demeaning or even vile. 

Courtesy: Huffington Post

Why do some tend to turn feminism into such an awful word? This is a question that I have yet to find an acceptable answer to and probably never will. It shocks me that anyone could do such a thing, when the word’s definition is quite clear. What is the point of turning this word into something it is not? A word that stands for equality for all should not be distorted into something else.  It is infuriating to hear opinions regarding feminism that include the idea that it is all about women, when it is simply the theory of treating both men and women equal within our nation.

The recent Women’s March that took place throughout the country has caused the ideology of feminism to be attacked even more than it normally is. While a large amount of citizens within our nation came together to celebrate and fight for their rights, many opted to instead strike against feminists, while arguing that what they are fighting for is wrong. While the Women’s March did focus on many women’s rights issues, this does not mean that feminists are only supporters of women, or that they want women to rise above men. It is time for people to stop being so afraid of the fake definitions of this word, and to realize what it truly stands for. It is critical for both men and women to not only do that, but to then support it’s true meaning. Fighting, and eventually putting a stop to sexism within this country should be a priority for us all. Everyone, especially uneducated men (who tend to twist feminism’s true meaning), must stop being so afraid of this eight letter word. Regardless of one’s gender, feminism should be praised, to say the least. 

Courtesy: New York Magazine

As a young collegiate myself, I am confused as to how the true meaning of feminism is so hard to grasp, or how anyone in this day and age could not support it. I am bothered by the fact that there are people who use the term to degrade anyone who supports it. I am worried that this issue has not yet gone away. And finally, I am appalled that an article such as this one even needs to be written. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.