Recently, I had the delightful opportunity to visit Tallahassee’s AR workshop. My experience was so special that I just had to share it. That’s why I’m thrilled that I was able to talk to co-owners Melissa Rudd and Yvonne Smart about the unique experiences they provide. 

Her Campus (HC): When did you open in Tallahassee?

AR Workshop (AR): We’ve been open in Tallahassee for almost three years!

HC: What is an AR workshop? 

AR: That depends on who you ask. To define the AR Workshop as a “do it yourself, home decor boutique” would be an injustice. The true definition lies in the experience. The opportunity to come together with friends and work on a project that you selected, that after two to three hours of relaxing conversation, results in an amazing takeaway. Win-win! Now, that’s the experience!

HC: What kind of classes or workshops do you offer? 

AR: There is something for everyone at the AR Workshop. We have canvases, chunky knit blankets and wood projects. The choices for wood projects are so diverse! We offer framed, pedestal, centerpiece boxes, photo or jewelry stands, bottle openers and plank designs, just to name a few. For what goes on those projects, we use stencils, so everyone leaves with a perfectly painted project. Even if a group uses the same stencil, everyone will leave with a unique project based on the colors or techniques painted. We also have trained instructors to make sure each customer leaves with a piece they will treasure. Check out all of the designs on our website for inspiration, but we also produce custom designs!

art watercolor painting
Photo by Victoria Bilsborough from Unsplash
HC: Can anyone come in for a project?

AR: Yes! We have many projects for all ages. Whether it’s for families, friends or even organizations such as sororities or student clubs. I envision it as a place to mentor others in using their hands. I don’t just think of the workshop as home decor or crafts. It can be a place to learn about wood (raw materials) and tools as well as the art of painting (mixing colors). I bought into the AR Workshop because I don’t just see it as a place to embrace the “do it yourself craze,” but rather, as a place where you can prove to yourself that you can do it. I also envision it being a place for service. For example, an organization can come and make blankets for a local nursing home, smaller ones for a humane society, or come in and create inspirational wall hangings to donate to a local community center. We also have so many applications from which students can draw. Whether you’re a student looking for an internship or something to do for fun, the AR Workshop is the answer.

HC: What’s your favorite aspect of the AR Workshop?

AR: Here’s a recent story worth mentioning. A daughter brought in her mother and a friend two nights ago, and they had an amazing time together. They worked on three different wood projects and several bottles of wine. They called the next day to reserve seats for another class on Monday. Now I’m convinced they’re not coming back because they need three more pieces of home decor. No, they are coming back because they can’t get that experience anywhere else. You can’t sit at a restaurant or bar for three hours and have that kind of experience. You can’t go to a movie and benefit from those conversations—bonding! And nowadays, where can you find a better experience where you can social distance and feel safe? We go to great lengths to follow COVID protocols; our workshop space and tables easily accommodate social distancing, and we also sanitize the shop and equipment.

As you can see, Tallahassee’s AR Workshop is a great place to make special memories while creating beautiful projects. There really is something for everyone there! As co-owner Melissa told me, “I value relationships, and this is a place where people can build relationships.” People don’t just leave the AR Workshop with a completed project; they leave with sweet moments and memories. You really cannot get this experience anywhere else! With that, check out their website for projects and classes, and be sure to head over to Tallahassee’s AR Workshop for the time of your life!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Shaylee Stout is a junior at Florida State studying psychology and public health. She was born and raised in small-town Port St. John, Florida, on the Space Coast. She loves exploring new places, vibing to music and Chris Pratt.
Her Campus at Florida State University.