Everything You Need to Know Before Studying Abroad in Valencia, Spain

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Travel Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we cover everything from the best places you need to roadtrip to before you graduate to the top eats across the pond (that’s London town, for those of you who haven’t brushed up on your British). We promise we’ll leave you wanderlusting for more. After all, summer vacation is just a few weeks away! 

It’s a well-known fact that Florida State University boasts International Programs that rank among the nations top 25. In fact, Florida State’s study abroad programs rank 12th in the nation, according to the Institute of International Education. Florida State’s study abroad program in Valencia, Spain is one of the most popular study abroad destinations, and for good reason. The program offers students the chance to fulfill course requirements while simultaneously experiencing the vibrant culture of Spain, so it’s no wonder spots fill up quickly! If you’re gearing up to study abroad in Spain this summer, or you’re thinking about signing up next year, here’s everything you need to know about studying abroad in Valencia.

The Study Center

Courtesy: FSU

The Valencia program boasts a state of the art study center, where classes are held. Located in the historic district of Valencia, the study center boasts a computer lab, wireless Internet and a study room. In addition, the Study Center is walking distance to many museums; as well as cafes and a scenic park so don’t be surprised if your professor decides to hold class outside!

Living Accommodations

The housing for students in Valencia consists of 9 furnished apartments, with four or five bedrooms to an apartment. Each room is shared by two or three students, and comes with a decent amount of closet space, desks and linens for the beds. The apartments also have bathrooms (which are tiny, but all bathrooms in Europe are tiny), a fully furnished kitchen, a flat screen TV, and a weekly cleaning service.

There is also access to washers and dryers for laundry.

Food & Drink

Courtesy: Famous Hostels

Cheques are your new best friend. Included in the program fees are meal vouchers called cheques, worth approximately 7 euros. Many restaurants and cafes accept cheques as a form of payment, and they can be used in conjunction with other payment forms. Spanish meal times and drinking habits definitely take some getting used to. Late night dinners consisting of small plates, known as tapas, three hour lunches, and getting charged for ordering a glass of water are all common occurrences.

Since lunch is the biggest meal of the day in Spain, most restaurants will offer a menu (not to be confused with a menu you order from), which consists of two or three courses, a drink, and a dessert.

Spain is known for paella, sangria, tapas, and ham – and these are all definitely on the must-try list – but don’t be afraid to branch out and try the many other unique food that Valencia has to offer.

Stuff To Do

Courtesy: Caitlin Lang

There’s almost an over abundance of things to do in Valencia, whether it’s strolling through the Turia Gardens, heading to the beach for the day, or playing a game of soccer with your classmates. The Museu de Belles Artes de Valencia, just a short walk from the study center, features artwork by Francisco de Goya and other famous artists. There are centuries-old cathedrals and unearthed Roman ruins to explore during the day, and pubs, bars and nightclubs for nighttime excursions.

What To Pack

During the summer, weather in Spain is generally warm and sunny. Beyond just cute summertime outfits, make sure to pack comfortable walking shoes, at least one jacket or cardigan for cooler nights, sunscreen and a beach towel.

Many cathedrals will not admit anyone with bare shoulders or legs, so bring a light scarf and at least one pair of jeans.

Bring a small weekend bag for short trips, and an adapter for your hairstyling products and phone charger is a must as well (in fact, bring more than one.).

Having a wristlet or small cross body bag that can securely hold your ID, some Euros, and your phone is important, especially when it comes to deterring pick-pockets.

Don’t forget to leave some room in your suitcase for souvenirs! 

Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU. Caitlin is a Senior and is currently majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and working towards a minor in Communications. She enjoys reading in her spare time, and is passionate about art, music, politics, and food.
Her Campus at Florida State University.