Everything You Need to Know About Tallahassee’s Newest Cuban Restaurant

After Rafael and Donna Diaz’s daughter Mia started school at FSU in 2013, the couple quickly fell in love with everything about Tallahassee. Well, almost everything. Unfortunately, they couldn’t find any authentic Cuban food that rivaled that of their hometown Miami. So, they set out to change that: the pair quit their corporate jobs that ruled their lives for the past 30 years and started out on a journey to follow their passion. The couple sold everything down south and left Miami in the rearview to pursue their American dream of owning their own business. The family set out to bring the Cuban fair and flair from “the 305 to the 850” in Rafael Diaz’s own words and Chi Chi’s Café was born! 

Courtesy: Facebook

Chi Chi’s Café specializes in traditional Cuban pastries with their menu including pastelitos, Cuban bread and croquetas, which are all baked fresh daily! They also serve cafecito aka Cuban coffee. It’s different from traditional coffee as it’s sweeter and stronger and Chi Chi’s Cuban coffee is brewed from beans directly from Miami to ensure authenticity. They also serve mamey and trigo shakes and a variety of Cuban sodas. Aside from pastries and beverages other offerings include classic pressed Cuban sandwiches, pan con bistec, Cuban black beans and rice, platano maduros and more.

After a successful soft opening last week, Chi Chi’s Café’s grand opening is set for Feb. 5: the owner’s birthday! They invite everyone to come celebrate with them and stop in for a cafecito and a pastelito.  In true Cuban style, they will be hosting domino nights and monthly pig roasts using a traditional Caja China. Featuring both indoor and outdoor seating, Chi Chi’s Café is located only a short 15-minute walk from campus at 460 West Tennessee St.  

Courtesy: Facebook

If you’re a south Florida native looking for a taste of home or just looking to try something new and support a local business stop by Chi Chi’s Cafe for food, fun and a family serving up their culture on a plate. Go get your Cuban fix!

Second year student at FSU studying Editing, Writing and Media.
Her Campus at Florida State University.