Everything You Need to Know About NYFW 2016

Introducing Her Campus FSU’s first themed week: Fashion Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. In honor of the events taking place across the globe, from February 15-19 we’re letting you in on the latest industry trends as the runways begin to come to life again. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we tackle everything from NYFW to Yeezy Season 3 to a killer fashion profile you don’t want to miss. 

Four months and 27 days. That’s how long it’s been since the last time fashion week was able to grace our presence in the glorious and fast-paced environment of New York City. From February 10-19, the world must prepare for this week of style, celebrities sightings, upcoming trends and breathtaking fashion. If you are unprepared for this astounding event we understand, it’s a lot to take in all at once. So for your benefit, we’ve made this guide about everything you need to know about New York Fashion Week 2016.

Where is Fashion Week actually located in New York City?

Usually, a majority of the shows are located throughout Manhattan, but on occasion, a collection or two might be shown somewhere else in NYC. Held in “tents,” the runways go through massive construction to get the perfect look and visual aesthetic before it’s officially time for designers to display their new collections to the world. If the idea of “tents” are throwing you off, think more of the idea of our FSU circus tent, but highly up-scaled.

Courtesy: Racked

How long does an individual show last?

Fashion is quick and so are these events. Taking around 30 minutes just to get everything and everyone sorted and seated, the actual runway show is short in comparison (as the average show only lasts around seven minutes, and then it’s a rush to the next collection).

What exactly is Street Style and why is it so important?

Street style is where everyone has the ability to be photographed and broadcasted into social media in regards to their personal style and fashion sense. Even though there are definitely pros (i.e. bloggers) in this growing realm of fashion, some fashion enthusiasts have gained a following just through their beautiful styling and their flawless and effortless posing in photographs. 

Courtesy: Denim Therapy

What are some of the most anticipated runway collections?

Rapper Kanye West is coming back with “Yeezy Season 3” collection and is holding his runway within the great and world-renowned walls of Madison Square Garden. During his display of his new collection, he will also be debuting and performing songs off his highly anticipated new album, The Life of Pablo.   

Courtesy: Highsnobiety

Staying within the realm of famous musicians, Rihanna will be involved in her very first runway show. Debuting her collaboration with PUMA, she will be reintroducing the creeper shoe back into the fashion world. Prepare yourself: this collection is bound to be as edgy and stylish as the queen Rihanna herself. 

Courtesy: Victor Amaro Blog

What are some changes that will be seen in this year’s fashion week?

This year, you no longer have to wait in order for trends and clothes presented during the runway to make it into stores; right-to-retail collections are the newest fad of the retail world. This allows the latest clothing to be instantaneously released to the consumer, making these fashions even easier to walk off the runway with. Designers such as Rebecca Minkoff have started this new evolution of fashion week. 

Courtesy: Cargo Collective

For a complete schedule of all the events happening during NYFW click here

Tara Lawson-Corley is a Florida State University graduate. She majored in Retail Merchandising & Product Development with the goal of someday working for a fitness driven retail company. Hopefully later on she will be able to own her own successful fitness boutique or at least that's the dream. Tara enjoys the occasional Netflix binge, reading numerous fashion magazines, and finding new and exciting ways to workout.
Her Campus at Florida State University.