photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Everything You Need to Know About the New Lion King Trailer

Disney has just released a full trailer for the new live-action The Lion King. With the movie’s release date set for July 2019, this trailer is just the kind of tease we all need to boost our excitement. But will a famous cast, hit songs and stunning graphics be enough to give the classic a run for its money? We’ll have to find out this summer! In the meantime, here’s everything you need to know about the new trailer.

Meet the Cast

The cast includes big names such as Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé as Nala, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar, Seth Rogan as Pumbaa and Billy Eichner as Timon. But those aren’t the only big names who will be starring in this Disney classic; James Earl Jones is back as Mufusa. With all-animal characters, Disney is able to produce a cast of diverse ages and backgrounds while still representing the original classic. Now here’s hoping these A-listers can keep up with the original.

Courtesy: Disney

Sing Along

With songs like “Hakuna Matata,” “The Circle of Life” and “Can You Feel the Love Tonight,” it’s hard to believe Disney could top the classic’s soundtrack, but I wouldn’t be so sure. Questions about the soundtrack originally rose due to Disney’s limited selection of songs in the recent live-action retellings such as Maleficent and Jungle Book. Disney soothed fans’ worries, promising original songs by Elton John and Tim Rice in the new trailer’s credits. With the dynamic duo’s success on the soundtrack of the original, we’re in for a treat.

On the Big Screen

When Disney announced plans to remake the classic into a live-action film, questions arose about what would happen to the beloved characters, given that film doesn’t contain humans. Using the same technology from Planet of the Apes, Disney is blending computer-generated imagery with motion-capture technology to bring viewers’ favorite characters to life. While some are excited about the photorealistic remake, skeptics argue that the CGI feels more like a nature documentary, with the original characters losing their charm (Washington Examiner).  Disney hopes to combat this negative backlash by touching on viewers’ nostalgia; the trailer continually “visually quotes” the original from scenes of young Simba following Timon and Pumbaa to shots of Pride Rock (Washington Post).

What to Expect

Disney may be touching on fans’ nostalgia, but there are some changes that have caused an uproar. Perhaps the most notable is the lack of Scar’s signature black mane. Is his mane the only thing Disney plans on changing for the live-action retelling? I guess we’ll find out when the movie premieres in theatres on July 19.

Courtesy: Buzzfeed 

Now that you have the background, go watch the trailer and see for yourself!

Taylor is currently a junior at Florida State University with a double major in English Creative Writing and Studio Art. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her traveling, getting lost in a book, or working on her personal blog at a local coffee shop.
Her Campus at Florida State University.