Everything You Need to Know About Light the Night at FSU

For those of you who haven’t heard about Light the Night, it’s a series of fundraising campaigns brought on by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in order to raise money to fund research for blood cancer cures. Light the Night wants to bring lightness to the darkness of cancer. The goal is to bring hope instead of despair to those fighting cancer and remember those who were lost. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) strives to inspire all by bringing together families, friends and any supporters of the cause with those touched by cancer in hopes of creating a better environment from the darkness created from one moment in life.

Light the Night involves approximately 1 million people nationwide and has over 150 different locations across the US and Canada! Florida State is lucky enough to be the host of Tallahassee’s location, calling many young students to volunteer and help fundraise for many years now. You can get involved by walking, fundraising or volunteering. The Light the Night organization based at FSU has worked hard in order to create an amazing event to bring awareness and advocate for those with blood cancer. Even if students are unable to walk, they have the ability to fundraise or donate. You can create an account at any point and share the event or fundraising page on all social media in hopes of bringing more attention to this cause.

Courtesy: mycharmedmom.org

“I got involved with Light the Night about 4 years ago when my friend, Melanie, was diagnosed with Leukemia, ” Erin Thomas, the Light the Night chair from Delta Nu Zeta, FSU’s service and social sorority, recounts. “It was the first time I really got a firsthand look at how big of an effect cancer has, not just on family and friends, but on the community as well. My first Light the Night walk was in Orlando and it was a breathtaking, emotional and a beautiful experience. After I came to Florida State, I found out that my grandfather passed away due to blood cancer as well. I attended last year’s LTN walk on campus to honor both of their memories and felt that same joy as I did in Orlando. I instantly knew I had to get involved. I went back to my sorority and was able to create our first chair position for Light the Night! In just two short weeks DNZ was able to fundraise over $2,000 and I could not be more proud to be a part of such a great organization. I was able to have the opportunity to honor my late friend and grandfather through Light the Night; I cannot wait to see what this year’s event will accomplish!”

Erin Thomas is just one of the many affected by cancer, whether it is a family member, friend or yourself. A great part of Light the Night is the community it creates; it lets others know they are not on this journey alone and there are many within their home or college town.  

Florida State’s walk is scheduled for Thursday, November 2, beginning at 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm on Langford Green. Everyone is welcome to participate, even your furry friends! The fundraising goal for this year is $100,000, but would be incredible to surpass it! Survivors typically carry white lanterns with them where the supporters and other walkers carry various other colors in hopes of “lighting the night.” While at this event, there will be an opening ceremony, Survivor Circle, and a Remembrance Pavilion.

Courtesy: Light the Night FSU

For more information on the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) and Light the Night, click here.

To be more involved in Florida State’s Light the Night and know about different fundraising opportunities, click here.

Food Network and puppies for life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.