Quarantine might have pushed back production on multiple TV shows across all genres, but the Emmys were still as star-studded as ever. 

First and foremost, the Canadian sitcom about a family who goes from riches to rags, Schitt’s Creek, swept the major comedy categories, including Outstanding Comedy Series, Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series and Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. They ended up getting a total of nine Emmys with their 15 nominations across, all setting a record for a single season of a comedy show. They were also the first show, comedy or drama, to sweep all four acting awards. 

Schitt\'s Creek
CBC / GIPHY

Once their triumph was over, Watchmen began to pick up some speed in the award wins department. The limited series about an alternate 1980s America with superheroes and much more won Outstanding Limited Series. Regina King and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II took the cake when it came to Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series and Movie, and Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie, respectively. Despite being a limited series, their nominations weren’t limited in the slightest. Overall, Watchmen had 26 nominations and 11 winners.

Succession was another one that brought home some serious hardware. The show, which revolves around the Roy family and their media empire, took home the gold for Outstanding Drama Series, Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series and Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series. Jeremy Strong, who plays Kendall Roy, was also able to grab the win for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series. The second season racked up a total of 18 nominations and seven Emmys.

One surprise to come out of the Emmys was Zendaya’s win for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her role as Rue in Euphoria, the show that follows high schoolers through their journeys with sex, love and drugs. This was her first nomination at the Emmys ever. She was also the youngest person to ever win this award. Even Zendaya herself was in shock over her win.

Euphoria Zendaya Dancing
Giphy
The Creative Arts Emmys also had its fair share of records broken. RuPaul won the Emmy for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Competition Program for his hosting of RuPaul’s Drag Race, a competition between America’s top drag queens. This win broke the record for most wins in the category. He has won this award five times in a row thus far in his career. RuPaul’s Drag Race also took home wins in Outstanding Casting for a Reality Program; Outstanding Contemporary Hairstyling for a Variety, Nonfiction or Reality Program; and Outstanding Contemporary Makeup for a Variety, Nonfiction or Reality Program.

There was also a record number of Black actors and actresses who won their respective categories. A total of eight actors and actresses including Regina King, Yahya Abdul-Meteen II, Maya Rudolph, Eddie Murphy, Zendaya, Uzo Aduba, Ron Cephas Jones and Jasmine Cephas Jones made history. Ron Cephas Jones and Jasmine Cephas Jones were also the first father-daughter duo to win in the same year.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Olivia is an English: Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University. If there isn't a hockey game on, she can be found listening to music or watching Netflix with her friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.