In today’s age, people often overlook the necessity for creative arts in college environments. But despite the high demand for STEM majors, the world will always need artists, filmmakers, dancers and poets—individuals with a strong connection to the arts. But in this STEM-dominated world, it is definitely disheartening to see a decline in liberal and creative arts majors for us lovers of all thing’s art, culture literature, film and such. However, it does give us a deeper appreciation for those who do delve into the world of the arts in the age of big tech. Today, we’re interviewing Tevin Hutton, who studied film at both The University of Central Florida (UCF) and Valencia College, and received his degree in 2019. 

Her Campus (HC): What was your major exactly and where did you study?

Tevin Hutton (TH): My major was film production. I have an A.S. degree in film production. I went to school at Valencia College for my A.S. degree in film production in Orlando, Florida. Then, I went to UCF for a few months to continue my studies in film. I still have to go back and finish.

HC: What made you want to get into film? 

TH: I have always loved film and television ever since I was a child. The first vivid memory, in regard to film, was going to see Bad Boys in theaters, and I was hooked ever since. It’s just cool to immerse yourself in a world other than your own for a few hours. And I always just wanted to learn the process and create my own stories eventually. 

HC: What type of classes did you take being a film major? What did the curriculum look like for this major? 

TH: At first, I had to take all the basic classes required for any degree: math and English. I also had to take psychology. But then once I started to get into my core classes, I took theater class, audio production, light production, film studies and a creative writing class. My favorite was probably film studies because we got to make two short films during that one semester, and I had a really good time. 

HC: Was a minor or second major required? 

TH: No minor or second degree was required when I got my A.S., but this might vary from school to school. 

a black and white movie clapperboard.
Photo by GioeleFazzeri from Pixabay

HC: Location plays a huge role when it comes to certain careers. How did studying film in Orlando, a big entertainment and film hub, affect your studies? Did it have any impact? 

TH: Orlando is full of creatives. Full Sail University also has a very nice program and I met a lot of people who went there who lived in my neighborhood. Living in Orlando definitely opened up a lot of doors for new connections within the industry. One of my friends in my Theater class got a small role in the show Power Book II: Ghost. When I was in Orlando, I also used my knowledge of camera work and applied it into shooting music videos and photos for local musicians. That’s how I paid my rent when I was living in Orlando. I also worked on a few different short films that I collaborated on with people I met while in school.

HC: What was your favorite part about being a film major? 

TH: Meeting people with similar interests. It was before COVID hit so luckily, I had a nice experience on campus collaborating with other film enthusiasts. Learning how to make a film from start to finish was pretty cool. I still have my film textbook and look at it for tips on camera angles every now and then whenever I shoot a music video and need new ideas. 

HC: Did you ever deal with setbacks or people not taking your major seriously? What are your best tips for dealing with this?

TH: At first, my mom wasn’t too enthusiastic, nor was my dad. My mom wanted me to go to the military and so did my dad, and I tried but got disqualified for medical reasons. So, my next choice was film school. My parents eventually supported it fully, but it’s hard being a student of any type of art. People never take you seriously. And you have to work hard because it’s very competitive, so you have to work very hard for sure. My advice for anybody would just be to follow your dreams no matter what. Life is too short. If you want to make movies, then do everything in your power to align yourself with the goal. 

HC: What are your career goals and where do you hope to see yourself in the world of film? 

TH: I want to be on a movie set in any way possible to learn as much as I can so I can fill any role that’s needed. Just get my foot in the door and eventually write and direct my own films. I write short scripts and I also plan on releasing my own short films on my YouTube channel sooner than later. I also plan to continue shooting music videos and getting better at my editing on those. 

HC: What would you recommend to anyone who is considering being a film major? 

TH: If you’re not all the way in, don’t do it. It’s easy to get sidetracked by life. And it’s very easy to lose passion for what you’re doing, especially if income isn’t coming in. Always stay dedicated and committed to your craft. And above all, stay away from negative people. You can do whatever you set your mind to if you want it bad enough. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Em is a junior from Miami double majoring in psychology and English: editing, writing, & media. Writing, fashion, and astrology are some of her interests and she hopes to pursue a degree in fashion ujournalism.
Her Campus at Florida State University.