Everything You Need to Know About the 12 Events of FSU Homecoming Week 2017

It’s finally November, which means FSU’s 2017 Homecoming Week is rapidly approaching. If you’ve been living under a rock and have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about, then read on, because you certainly do not want to miss it! FSU’s Homecoming Week is happening Sunday, Nov. 12 through Saturday, Nov. 18. The theme this year is the “spirit of unity,” and what better way to unify and build community on campus than attending all of the spectacular events that the Homecoming Spirit Force has planned for FSU students to enjoy? Exactly, there’s nothing better. If you’re planning to attend them all, here’s what you need to know:

Torch Pursuit

Sunday, Nov. 12 at 3 p.m. – Oglesby Union

Torch Pursuit is a team-style scavenger hunt through FSU’s campus that is based on the rich traditions of Florida State. Teams are given a single clue at the beginning of the race which leads them to their first checkpoint where they must perform tasks that exemplify FSU’s history. After each task is finished, teams will be given another clue that will light the path towards their next checkpoint until every challenge is accomplished and they all return to the starting point.

Homecoming Banner Contest

Monday, Nov. 13 – Oglesby Union

If you’re particularly handy with a paintbrush, or even if you’re artistically challenged, the Homecoming Banner contest is another event that is fun for all. Organizations can participate by crafting banners that exhibit the heart of FSU and the spirit (of unity) of Homecoming Week. Teams can not only incorporate the main theme of Homecoming Week, but also each group’s individual Homecoming 2017 theme. Finished banners are to be showcased in the Oglesby Union. Banner Contests will occur at multiple times throughout Homecoming Week including the following: 11/14, 11/15, and 11/16.

Karaoke for a Cause

Monday, Nov. 13 at 6:30 p.m. – Oglesby Union

If arts and crafts aren’t quite your speed, come join Club Downunder for Karaoke for a Cause. This event is a great chance for FSU students to unite, to sing their cares away, and to dance like there’s no tomorrow while also spreading awareness for various philanthropies on FSU’s campus. Representatives for philanthropies are welcome to present their cause by tabling during the festivity. Signups for Karaoke will be available on the official FSU Homecoming social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Skit Night

Tuesday, Nov.14 at 6 p.m. – The Moon

Skit night is a great way for organizations and teams of students to create and showcase skits that they have based around the 2017 Homecoming Week theme. This event is an amazing, and sometimes even humorous, display of students’ creativity and teamwork. All teams write their own scripts, choose their own props, and design their own costumes to represent the traditions of FSU. There’s even a required lip synch element, so if you missed Karaoke for a Cause, you’ll be sure to make up for it at Skit Night!

Chief and Princess Elections

Wednesday, Nov. 15 – 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Each and every year, FSU students vote to choose a Homecoming Chief and Princess. Elections will begin at 8:00 a.m. Wednesday and conclude at 5:00 p.m. that same day. Students will be able to cast their vote online at homecoming.fsu.edu.

Seminole Festival Featuring Green Dot

Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 1 p.m. – At Oglesby Union

Get ready to feast on some delicious carnival-style food while playing games and enjoying live entertainment. The Seminole Festival provides the perfect carnival atmosphere!

Warchant Featuring Solange

Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 7 p.m. – Tucker Civic Center

Thanks to the hard work of both the FSU Homecoming Spirit Force and the Student Government Association, FSU will be hosting Solange for the annual Warchant event. It’ll be a night of fun, community, and great music. FSU encourages all students, faculty, staff, and community members to join in on the fun and sing along. FSU student tickets are $18 with a valid student ID and $28 for FAMU and TCC students with valid student IDs.

FSU student promo code: FSUHC

FAMU and TCC promo code: FAMUTCC

Courtesy: Homecoming.fsu.edu

Spear-It Night

Thursday, Nov. 16 at 6 p.m. – Oglesby Union

The Spear-It night is an opportunity for anyone, who thinks they’ve got talent, to show off what they’ve got! There are three main competitions: The Talent Showcase, The Biggest Fan on Campus Competition, and The Hymn to the Garnet and Gold Singing Competition. All students and groups must audition for the opportunity to perform at Spear-It night. The winner of the Biggest Fan on Campus will be duly rewarded with reserved priority seating at Pow Wow.

Homecoming Parade

Friday, Nov. 17 at 2 p.m.

The Student Alumni Association presents the Homecoming Parade which offers the opportunity for organizations and the greater community of Tallahassee to celebrate the beloved traditions of Florida State University. Participants create floats that display each organization’s or group’s interpretation of the Homecoming Week theme. Everyone is welcome to watch and cheer on all of the amazing Homecoming-themed floats and performances.

Pow Wow Featuring Hannibal Buress with Hasan Minhaj

Friday, Nov. 17 at 7 p.m. – Tucker Civic Center

If you’re in the mood for a laugh, join FSU at Pow Wow Featuring Hannibal Buress with Hasan Minhaj. Doors open at 7:00 p.m., the show featuring performances by FSU cheerleaders, Golden Girls, and Flying High Circus begins at 8:00 p.m. and the comedy starts at 9:15 p.m. The crowning of the 2017 Homecoming Chief and Princess will also be happening at Pow Wow. Get ready to laugh until you pee your pants and to walk home with stitches in your sides!

Jimbo’s True Seminole Tailgate/Homecoming

Saturday, Nov. 18 – Seminole Organic Garden

Take a pit-stop on your way to Doak at Jimbo’s True Seminole Tailgate: Homecoming edition. This event takes place right before the homecoming football game right outside of Doak Campbell Stadium. There will be free food, music, free giveaways and much, much more!

FSU vs. Delaware State

Saturday, Nov. 18 at TBA – Doak Campbell Stadium

Get fired up and ready to cheer on our Noles football team as they take on the Delaware State Hornets for the 2017 Homecoming Game!

Tawnie Simpson is a Senior Editing, Writing, and Media student at Florida State University. She enjoys (needs) a good cup of cold brew, she comes from a small town nobody knows called "about an hour south of Tampa" and she is often mistaken for 10-year-old Lindsay Lohan, but she's not complaining.
Her Campus at Florida State University.