The National Eating Disorder Awareness Week was designed to enlighten the public on eating disorders and continue the spread of hope on such principles. Most individuals can misinterpret an eating disorder as a chronic illness and not a psychological case. Yet, eating disorders are psychological and can range from several abnormal or disturbed ingestion habits. NEDA is a non-profit organization that works to prevent these cases, provide resources for individuals who may need them and bring more awareness to all sorts of eating disorders. 

Anorexia Nervosa  

Characterized by weight loss, people with this disorder usually have a hard time maintaining suitable body weight for age, height and stature. The disorder leads to distorted body image and restrictive calorie count diets. 

Rumination Disorder

This includes periodical regurgitation of food, which may involve rechewing and re-swallowing. 

Binge Eating Disorder (BED)

This is defined as recurrent cases where individuals consume large quantities of food, usually too quickly, which can lead to a feeling of discontentment afterward and the condition can be life-threatening. 

Unspecified Feeding or Eating Disorder (UFED) 

Usually symptoms that involve a feeding or eating disorder cause distress and affect life negatively. Symptoms do not meet the full criteria of other eating disorders. 

Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID)

Individuals with this disorder limit their intake of food, but it does not involve fear of gaining weight or much discomfort towards body shape or size. 

Other Specified Feeding and Eating Disorders (OSFED)

Disorders that are not specified in the diagnostic and statistical manual and are usually not covered by insurance. Individuals who are classified as such did not meet the criteria of anorexia nervosa. Symptoms are still very common to BED and Anorexia.

It does not matter if you are an emotional eater or a critical eater. It is encouraged to control yourself as you eat to feed both your hunger and your body. Growing healthy eating habits can lead to long life improvements. Your body is majestic; it is well-formed, and who will embrace it if you won’t do so yourself? Over here, you are not a number on a scale, you are not the size of your jeans. You belong and your body belongs just as you are.

Vegan dinner and vegetables on a table
Photo by Ella Olsson from Pexels
Considering the fact that I used to be anorexic, I’ve learned to look past the numbers on the scale and just care about the efforts. Efforts to exercise and make it a lifestyle to consume healthier foods. It is deeper than eating, as one must learn to love and care for their body as it has been made. Once you gain your confidence and hope for better results, you will see them. I now eat whatever I want whenever I want and remain confident in my appearance. That’s my vegetarian testimony; better foods + better results = happier me!

Find your calling and learn to look beyond body-image. Throughout this week, treat yourself to your favorite dessert, get some dinner with your girls. Your body belongs here. There are several resources available for students who may be facing such situations. Keep yourself aware of these disorders, and help out others who may need guidance because all of us are involved in the battle for the mind.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Rose attended Florida State University, and studied Information Communication Technology and minored in Education. She enjoys writing poems on life, young adult experiences, and perspectives. She enjoys handmade gifts, white orchids, and deep talks on theology and creation. Some of her favorite movies to watch are “The Little Prince,” “13 Going on 30” and “Finding Forrester”. One day she hopes to write books for young children and young adults.
Her Campus at Florida State University.