Culture > News

End of an Era: “Keeping Up with The Kardashians” Canceled After 14 Fabulous Years

In a way that most certainly seems fitting to her brand, Kim Kardashian sent out an Instagram post to her 188 million followers that her family’s namesake reality TV show, Keeping Up with The Kardashians, will be ending. Since the show’s start in late 2007, it has garnered millions of loyal viewers and even became one of the longest-running TV series in the country. Depicting many of the family’s ups and downs, there is no doubt as to why the Kardashian/Jenner family has become a household name. To truly understand the cultural impact of what it means to “keep up with the Kardashians,” we have to start at the beginning. 

The matriarchal powerhouse of the family, Kris Jenner, pitched the idea of a show that would mainly follow the drama-filled lives of her three daughters: Kim, Kourtney and Khloé. Boosted by their privileged lifestyles and all too relatable family qualms, the show was an instant hit. Along with the Kardashians’ younger half-sisters, Kendall and Kylie, the show maintained its popularity among viewers of all ages. Even producing spin-offs of their own show, like Khloe and Kourtney Take Miami, they seemed to reach all corners of television stardom. Though many of the show’s episodes followed seemingly similar plotlines, viewers tuned in every Sunday and Thursday night to see what the Kardashians were up to. Whether it was being behind-the-scenes of Kim’s latest photoshoot or watching Kylie go on her first date, there was certainly something exclusive about being a part of their family’s world. Keeping Up with The Kardashians, commonly abbreviated to KUWTK, also gave their family a space to communicate with their viewers and fans in a semi-direct way. Especially in an age when a lot of social media communication can be misdirected, their way of using reality TV changed how reality shows utilize drama to draw in and keep their viewers.

Kris Jenner holding up camera
Giphy.com / E!
Many would agree that the show’s success is what put the Kardashian/Jenners on the social map. Arguably the most influential member of the bunch, Kim Kardashian-West, credits the show in her Instagram post, stating that “without Keeping Up with The Kardashians, I wouldn’t be where I am today.” She continued to write that “the show made us who we are and I will be forever in debt to everyone who played a role in shaping our careers and changing our lives forever.” It is not the first time that Kim has pushed for more privacy with her family, especially after her highly publicized Paris robbery back in 2016 and the recent events and statements made by her husband Kanye West. Despite being one of America’s most beloved businesswomen, this might be her first step into being able to focus on her family and career outside of the limelight.

With ‘KUWTK’ being E! Network’s highest-rated running series for the last 14 years, the world will now get to see what the Kardashian/Jenners get up to once the cameras are turned off. The show’s 20th and final season will air sometime in 2021.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

writer.
Her Campus at Florida State University.