Elaine Rodriguez: Lawyer in the Making

Name: Elaine Rodriguez

Year: Junior

Hometown: Miami, Florida

Age: 20

Major: Creative Writing and Economics

Relationship Status: Happily taken!

Her Campus (HC): Creative Writing and Economics, huh?! That’s an interesting combination. What career path are you pursuing, and how has your time as a double major prepared you for the future?

Elaine Rodriguez (ER): Interesting is definitely the word that best describes it. I’ve always wanted to be a lawyer, and being able to read and write comfortably is key for that career choice. In picking my major I thought, “What better major to prepare myself than creative writing?” I’m really interested in corporate law so I thought getting a major in economics would give me a better understanding of our economy and how businesses make scarce decisions. 

(HC): A little birdy told me you’re the Vice President of the Pre-Law Society here on campus. Congrats! Tell us a bit about the organization and your role as Vice President.

(ER): Yes I am, thank you! The FSU Pre-Law Society’s ultimate goal is to guide and assist students through the law school admission process and the early stages of their legal careers. We do this by providing students with guest speakers that give ample knowledge about law schools, the admission process and insight on different legal professions. My role is involved more with internal communication. I communicate information to the society, help gather speakers and basically act as the president’s right hand.

(HC): What’s the best class you’ve ever taken at FSU?

(ER): I’ve had the opportunity to take so many different types of classes that I’m not sure I have a definite favorite. But my top two definitely have to be Social Psychology and Shakespeare. I personally suggest Social Psych with Professor Bo Winegard to anyone interested in learning why we think and act the way we do.

(HC): Okay, enough about school. How was growing up in Miami? Do you miss it?

(ER): Growing up in Miami was amazing. Being around so many different cultures was eye-opening to say the least, but I learned so much from every nationality and I feel that is something I can carry around with me for the rest of my life. It’s something I will always cherish. I miss my family and friends, but I don’t miss Miami itself. I don’t like feeling like I’m always in a rush or the need to have a resting mean face because that’s just how you’re suppose to walk around. Don’t get me wrong—Miami is one of a kind and a great place to live, just not for me anymore. 

(HC): Fair enough, I totally get you on that. What’s something you’ll miss about Tallahassee when you graduate?

(ER): The thing I’ll miss the most is the atmosphere on game day. I know I’ll still be coming back as an alumni of course, (Go Noles!) but there is nothing like being 20, tailgating with your friends all over Tallahassee, then stepping into Doak Stadium and standing up for the entire game while cheering on your schoolmates. I guess I’ll just miss being a student overall. 

(HC): Tell us something you’re obsessed with at the moment. TV shows, music, shopping, books—anything.

(ER): My favorite day of the week is Thursday because of TGIT, which is a marathon of three of the best T.V. shows ever: Greys Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder. For those of you who haven’t tuned in, I highly recommend doing so.

(HC): What’s your guilty pleasure? Your biggest pet peeve?

(ER): Cold Stone Creamery. I love their cake batter ice cream with white chocolate chips—it’s heaven in a cup. My biggest pet peeve has to be when someone thinks they are superior to others because of age or money. 

(HC): Do you know what you’re going to be for Halloween? Do you have any cute couple costumes in mind for you and your boyfriend?

(ER): I was actually just talking to my roommate about ideas today. We all know Halloween in Tallahassee is a weeklong event, not just one night, so I have a couple ideas in mind. My favorite one so far is Mrs. Clause. As for my boyfriend and I, he has shot down every idea because he’s not very into dressing up no matter what the occasion, so I’ll keep you updated as soon as we come to a compromise, haha.

(HC): Cute! Do you have any advice for someone taking on Tallo-ween for the first time?

(ER): My only advice for anyone’s first anything (tailgate, party, social, Tallo-ween) is remember: it’s a marathon, not a race, so pace yourself!

Hi! I 'm Sara. You can find me roaming the streets of Tallahassee, Florida, in hopes of finding some cool people, places, and things to write about. Originally from Coral Springs, Florida, I've ventured 8 hours away from home to study Public Relations and Creative Writing at Florida State University. I like creativity, dance parties, writing, traveling, reading, and having a good time, all the time. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.