Eight Deaths at Florida Nursing Home

The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills, Florida is one of 160 in the state affected by electrical problems after recent hurricane Irma. However, it is the only one that experienced eight client deaths in two days. It was a nearby hospital, Memorial Regional, that first noticed the issue when three of the nursing home’s clients were rushed into its emergency room late Tuesday night. The lack of air conditioning created a hot environment, causing these people to have trouble breathing. A rescue team began evacuating the building. The hospital staff quickly organized 115 residents by their medical conditions. Those in critical shape were given red wristbands, and those in better condition were given yellow and green wristbands. The hospital staff also checked the building room by room and were saddened to find 3 residents had passed and 40 others were in life-threatening conditions. 

Courtesy of CNN

Apparently, a tree had fallen on the power source of the building’s cooling system during the hurricane. Jorge Carballo, the home’s administrator, claims that his staff contacted Florida Power & Light to fix the damage. While they were waiting, mobile cooling units and fans were set up for residents. Unfortunately, these measures were not enough to withstand Hollywood’s sweltering heat, reaching up to 92 degrees.

Governor Rick Scott responded to this tragedy with fierce words: “I am going to aggressively demand answers on how this tragic event took place. Although the details of these reported deaths are still under investigation, this situation is unfathomable. Every facility that is charged with caring for patients must take every action and precaution to keep their patients safe — especially patients that are in poor health.”

When confronted by authorities, Florida Power & Light claimed that as part of hurricane preparations, certain buildings were deemed priority, and this nursing home was not labeled as a “top-tier” infrastructure needing assistance post-hurricane.

Local authorities say they will not let something like this happen again. According to the New York Times, Florida requires nursing homes to ensure emergency power in a disaster as well as food, water, staffing and 72 hours of supplies. Furthermore, a new federal rule, which takes effect in November, adds that the alternative source of energy must be capable of maintaining safe temperatures.

Medical professionals are still unsure as to whether the residents of the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills died of intense heat or carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator. The Hollywood Police Department has opened a criminal investigation and intends to find out exactly what happened.

Her Campus at Florida State University.