brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Egg Is Now the Most Liked Picture on Instagram

It’s official, Kylie Jenner has been dethroned and no longer holds the title of the “most liked picture on Instagram.” With the previous record being 18.3 million likes, the current champion has doubled that with nearly 41 million likes.

Who is the current world recorder holder you may ask? It’s none other than the egg. The infamous post of a single brown chicken’s egg made on January 4 has gone viral. Even the previous queen of Instagram, Kylie Jenner, has caught wind of the story. Her response was posting a video of her smashing an egg with the caption, “Take that little egg.”

Courtesy: Fox 5 San Diego

The only post from the account (@world_record_egg) is a picture of a normal brown egg with a white backdrop. The caption merely asks people to like the picture so they can beat the world record. Little is known about the account and the anonymous owner behind it. They have even decided to capitalize on the momentum, selling shirts that flaunt the saying, “I liked the egg.”

In response to Buzzfeed News, the alleged owner referred to themselves as “Henrietta” which is a chicken from the British countryside and called the egg “Eugene.”

The inspiration behind the post resulted from “dry January” in which Henrietta found herself at home on a Friday night reading an article that listed the top twenty posts on Instagram. When asked why the post was so successfully, Henrietta merely responded, “the power of the egg is strong.”

Courtesy: The Strait Times

Since the post has gone viral, numerous theories have begun swarming the internet as to who is behind the anonymous account. Here are a few of the fan-favorites.

Piers Morgan

One of the most vocal individuals who disapproves of the Kardashian clan is suspected to be behind the post. On Good Morning Britain, Morgan states his dislike for the name “Stormi,” which leads to many people believing he is behind the post that dethroned Kylie’s infamous photo of her daughter after birth.

Blac Chyna

Having a rocky history with the Kardashian family, Chyna is also someone suspected behind the overthrowing of Kylie’s infamous title.

Tyga

After a shaky relationship for nearly 3 years, Kylie and the 21-year-old rapper called it quits. Following Kylie’s pregnancy announcement, Tyga claimed the baby was his which started a feud between the two. Some suspect that Tyga created the account as retaliation.

Kardashian Family Member

Easily one of the most commonly believed is that a member of the notorious family is behind the account as a joke with the makeup-mogul Kylie.

Nicki Minaj

Another theory is that the 36-year-old rapper is behind the account. Bad blood was created between the artist and makeup mogul when Minaj lost the number one spot for her album Queen to Travis Scott’s Astroworld. Claiming that the album only cinched the spot due to Kylie Jenner and her newborn, Stormi, Minaj undoubtedly holds some resentment.

Following the success of the post, the owner released a statement on Sunday. “This is madness, what a time to be alive…It doesn’t end here though, we’re only just getting started.”

FSU '22

Her Campus at Florida State University.