Eddie Goldman: Division I Athlete with a Drive For Success

Meet Eddie Goldman: A current sophomore and defensive tackle for the Florida State football team! He sat down with Her Campus and shared a little bit about how he came to his decision to play for FSU, some advice for aspiring college athletes, and how he deals with the stress of being a student athlete himself.

HC (Her Campus): Let’s start off with the basics! Tell us a little bit about where you are originally from?

Eddie Goldman: Hey! I’m Eddie Goldman, a defensive tackle for the football team here at Florida State. I am a sophomore and I am originally from Washington D.C.

HC: Who is someone you looked up to when you were younger?

EG: I looked up to Jay Ratliff. He played with a lot of heart. He was very inspirational how he played so selflessly. He was a great consistent player.

HC: Where did you take your official visits?

EG: My first official visit was to FSU. It was one of the prettier campuses I had seen. The people were very friendly as well. My next visit was to Auburn; they had great fan unity and I had never really experienced that before. Then I went to UM and Alabama. I loved the lifestyle and scenery of Miami. Coconut grove had an amazing atmosphere and Alabama had great southern hospitality.

HC: Ultimately, what led you to choose FSU?

EG: I chose FSU because it just felt right in my heart. Everyone questioned me why I chose it over Alabama and I truly don’t really have a reason. I had a gut feeling and I went with it and I can honestly say I don’t regret it one bit. I am proud to call myself a Seminole!

HC: What do you see yourself doing after graduation?

EG: I plan on following my childhood dream. I hope that I am blessed enough to have the opportunity to play in the NFL. I don’t even have a specific team I want to play for.  I just want to be able to keep playing. I have a love for the game and it won’t allow me to stop playing.

HC: In your opinion, what is the most rewarding aspect to being apart of FSU’s football team?

EG: Being on the team is a reward in itself. There is no better feeling than saying you are a part of the team. We endure everything together. We are a brotherhood. The good, the bad, the sweat, the tears, the blood; we are one. One team, one heart. There is no other team better than the Florida State Seminoles. 

HC: Sounds like you are really busy with school and football, what are some strategies you use for good time management?

EG: I have to be very organized. Academics are extremely important to me. I know that is the reason I’m here. I do not have time to procrastinate. The free time I have on campus, I’m either in the library or computer lab working on an assignment or paper.

HC: What advice would you give to aspiring student athletes who are trying to make it onto a college team?

EG: For anyone that is trying to make it to the college level, make sure football is what you love. Everyone sees the glitz and glamour of being on a division I football team, but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. Also, start positive work habits. It is important to have a good work ethic. School is still extremely important. A lot of people lose sight of the fact that we are student athletes.

Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!