EDC Orlando 2016 Recap

Every year in early November, festival-lovers from around Florida and even around the country gather at Tinker Field in Orlando, Florida to see their favorite DJs perform under the electric sky. Electric Daisy Carnival (EDC), a two-day event hosted by Insomniac, took place on Friday, November 4th and Saturday, November 5th, with gates opening at 1 p.m. each day and the end of the last performances ending close to midnight. Antendees had the opportunity to buy a two-day pass, at $159 in Tier 1, $169 in Tier 2 or 240 dollars the day of the event.  Single day passes started at 99 dollars and 140 dollars the day of the event. It is clear that Saturday was the preferred day by fans, because tickets had sold out, unlike Friday. 

Courtesy: Electric Daisy Carnival

Demand was high to attend the event on Saturday—ticketholders were selling Saturday tickets for almost double the original price.

EDC is held in Orlando, FL in November, New York, NY in May and Las Vegas, Nevada in June annually. Orlando and New York are two day events, while Las Vegas tops it off with a three day event. Insomniac also puts on EDC internationally each year as well.

The event featured three main stages—Kinetic Field, Circuit Grounds and Neon Garden. Something new to Orlando this year was a change in the stage set up. EDC lovers have obsessed over the famous “owl stage” in the past which sat in Kinetic Field.

This year in Orlando, it was replaced by a new, innovative stage.

Courtesy: Ashley Ferraro

Insomniac also added Daisy Lane, Electric Avenue and Rainbow Road, which were pathways lit up with neon lights and other psychedelic designs. They really stepped up their game, adding excitement to every corner of the event. Just like previous years, Insomniac included a multitude of classic carnival rides, including a ferris wheel. While festival-goers were taking a break from the heat of the crowd or just wanted a change of scenery, the carnival rides were a perfect escape. 

Courtesy: Insomniac

Top headliners performing on Friday were The Chainsmokers, Nghtmare and Yellowclaw. The weather forecast was clear but it began to rain during the Chainsmokers’ set shortly before 10 p.m. The rain came down pretty hard, causing a delay in the performance. However, EDC promises their events are rain or shine, so the technical difficulties were resolved and the set went on. Friday night closing acts were Nero, Above and Beyond and Markus Schulz. The after party took place at Gilt nightclub, with performances by Nghtmare, Bonnie and Clyde and Boombox Cartel.

Big performances on Saturday were made by Alison Wonderland, Porter Robinson and Bassnectar. Closing acts were RL Grime, Hardwell and Jamie Jones. The after party took place at Tier nightclub headlined by Jauz.

Being an annual event, fans will have to wait another year to attend EDC Orlando. Insomniac’s event was yet again a huge success—so let the countdown begin.

Florida State University junior, just winging it.
Her Campus at Florida State University.