One of this year’s most popular spring trends is hair chalking! While some collegiettes may be thrown off by the fact that most hair chalk can be pricey and is usually purchased in a hair salon, this article will take you step by step through how to use simple pastels and cheaply priced products to chalk your hair.

Step 1: Buy a set of pastels (also known as artist’s chalk) or you can buy reasonably priced hair chalk from CVS to use instead of salon bought hair chalk. The color stands out a lot more and they are easier to use. They can be purchased in almost any color and shouldn’t cost more than $10!

Step 2: Wet the sections of the hair that you want to chalk. Sometimes it is easier to just lightly wet your hand with water, instead of soaking the hair.

Step 3: You can either directly draw on the sections of hair with the pastel color of your choice, or you can crush some of the pastel into your hand and smooth it over the hair!

Step 4: Using a hot flat iron, straighten the hair (while still wet) to steal the color into your hair.

Step 5: To keep the color in longer, use hairspray!

Hollie Morey is a creative writing enthusiast, when she is not studying for her double major in communications and political science! In her free time, Hollie loves to curl up with a great novel or the latest edition of Glamour, as well as catch up on her favorite shows: Pretty Little Liars and Mad Men! Hollie has a particular interest in writing about fashion and local current events and can be found looking on Her Campus for great style tips or for ideas for things to do in Tallahassee!
Her Campus at Florida State University.