DUPLICATE King Princess Releases a Deluxe Version to her Album Cheap Queen

On Friday, Feb. 14, King Princess released a deluxe version to her debut album Cheap Queen. If you haven’t heard of King Princess, you are missing out. Mikaela Straus, commonly known by her artist name King Princess, is a 21-year-old from Brooklyn, New York who has recently become popular in the music industry after the release of her first single “1950” in Feb. 2018. During an NPR interview, Straus describes how she has been surrounded by music her entire time growing up and how she spent most of her free time messing around in her dad’s recording studio, Mission Sound. Because her dad was involved in the music industry, Straus was often around artists’ that were at Mission Sound to record, as well as a lot of different recording equipment and musical instruments that often sparked her interest. She quickly gained an affinity for music and music making, which blossomed into the career that she has today as a pop artist.

King Princess Cheap Queen Deluxe Album Cover
King Princess (Mikaela Straus)
King Princess’s first full record Cheap Queencame out in Oct. 2019 and she has been on tour ever since. If you’ve never listened to King Princess, her music style is very indie pop with a hint of rock and funk. Being a queer woman, her music usually relates to a lot of LGBTQ+ topics and is seen to be more catered towards queer women. She often does write about her feelings and relationships, which are queer, but she doesn’t see herself as trying to make queer music. In that NPR interview, Straus states that “people are trying to understand [queer music] as though it’s a subgenre within the music community, like people are setting out to make queer art. It’s like, ‘No, honey,” Straus says. “When something is your identity, if you’re writing in a way that is authentic, then that identity is embedded within the music. There is no choice. There is no separation … you can’t remove that part of yourself.” The music associated with King Princess is queer and speaks to queer people because that is her identity and it is inseparable from her art.

King Princess’s album Cheap Queenand the deluxe version that was just released come from a place of heartbreak in Straus’s life. She is said to have written about 40 songs, eventually picking the ones that went into the album, after a horrible breakup, which we can see really fueled songs like “You Destroyed My Heart” and “Trust Nobody” to name a couple. Her deluxe version features five new songs, including “Back of a Cab,” “All Dressed in White,” “Forget About It,” “Best Friend,” and fan favorite “Ohio,” which she has been playing on her tour unreleased for the past year. If you weren’t able to see her on tour this past year, New Musical Expressstates that she will be opening for some of Harry Styles’ UK shows this year. You can listen to her Deluxe album on Spotify, Apple Music, and even YouTube, as well as watch her insane music video to “Ohio” on YouTube here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Morgan is a freshman double majoring in Creative Writing and Psychology. She enjoys listening to King Princess on repeat, playing with her puppy Luna, and sleeping her problems away.
Her Campus at Florida State University.