Don’t Miss Out on FSU DIGITECH 2015

Source: DIGITECH

One of the best perks of being an FSU student is the huge number of opportunities offered year-round on and around campus. No matter what your major is, what organizations you are involved with, or what your personal interests are, it’s pretty much guaranteed that FSU has a special program, event, or research opportunity that can enable you to set yourself apart from the crowd and succeed in your goals. Probably one of the most impressive (and just downright cool) events offered at FSU is the annual DIGITECH conference. If you’re unfamiliar with this event, here’s the nuts and bolts of what DIGITECH is, how you can apply, the awards process, and the event schedule!

What exactly is FSU DIGITECH?

Presented by the Program in Interdisciplinary Science at FSU (PIC), DIGITECH is a free, completely student-driven open house event that takes places on one day each year. The event is designed to showcase and promote FSU student innovation with technology, as well as the many applied technology courses and academic programs offered at FSU.

Sounds great! How do I get involved?

If you think you have an innovative idea that you would love to share with the FSU community, then definitely apply to showcase a “DIGITECH Student Exhibit”! Once you have an appropriate and eye-catching exhibit title and description, you can begin an application here. Within a week you will receive feedback and you will be given the opportunity to revise, edit, and finalize your exhibit to perfection! All accepted applicants will be invited to an exhibitor orientation, where you will receive additional tips on how to improve your exhibit. Check out the DIGITECH 2014 exhibits gallery for some inspiration. If you don’t think presenting an exhibit is for you, think about sponsoring or volunteering at the event instead!

I’m definitely going to apply! Do any of the exhibits win prizes?

All students’ DIGITECH exhibits will be judged on four major areas: innovation, expression, entrepreneurship and contribution. A team of judges will select 50 DIGITECH finalists to show their work at the event. On event day, judges will select certain exhibits to receive trophies, and all event attendees have the chance to decide which exhibit should receive the “Campus Choice Award.”

I can’t wait! What exactly is the schedule for the event?

DIGITECH 2015 takes place on Wednesday, April 1st from 11am-5pm in the Florida State Conference Center. The kick-off presentation takes place from 10-11 a.m. with student exhibits on display from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. The awards ceremony and reception will close the event from 4-5 p.m. An additional perk is the presence of a food truck outside of the event from 11 a.m.-2 p.m., so make sure to stop by and grab some food while you are checking out all of the great exhibits! Also, from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. FSU Shark Tank will be taking place! This one-day pitch competition is student-run and gives all participants the chance to win a $500 prize.

For more information or to apply to be a student exhibitor, volunteer or sponsor, check out the DIGITECH website

Hollie Morey is a creative writing enthusiast, when she is not studying for her double major in communications and political science! In her free time, Hollie loves to curl up with a great novel or the latest edition of Glamour, as well as catch up on her favorite shows: Pretty Little Liars and Mad Men! Hollie has a particular interest in writing about fashion and local current events and can be found looking on Her Campus for great style tips or for ideas for things to do in Tallahassee!
Her Campus at Florida State University.