The holiday season is personally my absolute favorite time of the year. The music, the movies, the decorations and the food all combine to create a feeling of almost magic in the air. However, with the holidays comes a million little stressors that seem to always overflow your plate. Whether its wrapping up work/school projects and household chores or prepping for gifts and lots of family time, life can be overwhelming and detract from what the holidays are supposed to be about. This Thanksgiving, I challenge you to take a moment to stop, sit down and transform your stresses into blessings. Here are just a few of the things that might be overwhelming during this season, but are actually blessings in disguise.

1. Laundry

This one is at the top of my list because if you asked my roommates, they would tell you that folding clothes is one of my biggest pet-peeves. While doing laundry, folding it and putting it away might seem like an annoying little hassle, it means you have enough clothes to fill drawers and closets, so you should be more thankful for it.

2. Homework & Tests

No one wants to admit it, but tests and homework are indeed a blessing in disguise. If you’re doing homework and taking exams, it’s because you’re in school and getting an education. Think about how lucky you are to be pursuing an education and bettering yourself. In many parts of the world, an education is very hard to attain and is too expensive. Be thankful for the opportunity to learn and create a future for yourself.

3. Dishes

The obvious follow-up to laundry. If you claim to like doing the dishes, you’re either A) lying or B) using a dish washer. Dishes are the annoying cherry on top of the list of things to get done. Dishes mean you have food, you are eating well and you’ve got a kitchen to prepare food in. Think about that next time you roll your eyes at your kitchen sink.

Courtesy: Catt Liu on Unsplash

4. Bills

Does it seem like your rent bill is always due at the exact moment when you realize you have 27 cents in your bank account? Do you find yourself left with only stale granola and a jar of peanut butter in your pantry because you haven’t been able to buy groceries? Are utilities too high for you this month? Money is always a difficult thing, but if you’re paying bills it means you have a home to live in, a pantry and fridge to stock and running water and electricity. Think about how many people would love to trade places with you and have all of those luxuries.

5. Filling up your gas tank

I am convinced my car is out to get me. It’s always on the days I’m running late to work and have a million errands to run when my gas tank has 10 miles left. Running low on gas is definitely inconvenient, but it means you have a car nonetheless!

6. Family during the holidays

Let’s face it, we all get stressed out by our family during the holidays. Between getting gifts, answering “how’s school going?” at least 75 times and spending hours around the same people, you start to go a little nuts. Think about it this way: you are lucky enough to have a family that you get to spend the holidays with. Remember that when you have to recite your elevator speech to each of your seven aunts and uncles.

Courtesy: Tyler Nix on Unsplash

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

I'm a senior from Miami, FL majoring in Public Relations and pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. Think of me as the love child of Samantha Jones & Carrie Bradshaw, plus throw in a little Cuban spice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.