Don’t Call Us Angels: A Breakdown of Ariana Grande’s New Music Video

In 2000, a small group known as Destiny’s Child released an anthem called, “Independent Women” in honor of a little film that had just been released: Charlie’s Angels.

Now, nearly twenty years later, a new group of femme fatales has arisen to bring us the newest anthem for the reboot we have anxiously been awaiting. Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus and Lana del Rey have teamed up to bring us a new, fiercely empowering song and music video to play on repeat early Friday morning: “Don’t Call Me Angel.” And these girls are certainly no angels; the near five-minute sultry video features the trio donned with black wings, throwing knives and boxing gloves in a ring. As Ariana Grande says herself, “[We] ain’t from no heaven.” 

Meanwhile, Miley Cyrus sings her verse on – well, being an independent woman. “I make my money and I write the checks, so say my name with a little respect,” she says, delivering us with a new Instagram caption for all of our #bossbabe selfies. And let’s not even start on Lana del Rey with a throwing knife, hitting a target dummy directly in the crotch with a smirk.  

To top it all off, at the end of the music video, we are graced with a surprise cameo from the reboot’s director, Elizabeth Banks, who also stars as Bosley in the new flick – because why not? 

Lana del Rey recently opened up about joining forces with this group: “When I first heard it, obviously I wasn’t on it. It was just Ariana‘s parts,” she said. “They wanted me to write something, so I … kind of cut her verse into a halftime bridge and just saying some stuff over her courses as well, and then Miley jumped on. So, it’s just really very spicy. A spicy little track.”

The video for “Don’t Call Me Angel” arrived from director Hannah Lux Davis, who paired up with co-writers Alma-Sofia Miettinen, Grande, Ilya Salmanzadeh, Del Rey, Max Martin, Cyrus and Savan Kotecha. There is no word yet on what we should expect to hear from the rest of the Charlie’s Angels soundtrack, but it’s supposed to be quite the banger. Ariana Grande herself is executive producing the music for the action-adventure film, working alongside Savan Kotecha and Scooter Braun. 

In Elizabeth Banks’ newest adaptation of Charlie’s Angels, Kristen Stewart, Ella Balinska and Naomi Scott – taking on the roles of Drew Barrymore, Lucy Liu and Cameron Diaz from the original film – are all working for the mysterious Charles Townsend, whose agency has expanded internationally. With the world’s smartest, bravest and most highly trained women all over the globe, there are now teams of Angels guided by multiple Bosley’s – this trio is being played by the director herself, Elizabeth Banks, as previously stated. 

The rest of the soundtrack is set to be released on Nov. 1, as we head into the final stretch before the movie is officially released. It is releasing just as we head into the holiday season, so we suspect that this will be a popular stocking stuffer for any fans of this trio. 

The new film is set to hit theaters on Nov. 15. 

All images courtesy of Ariana Grande

I am a Creative Writing major studying at Florida State University. I have loved writing all kinds of genres since I was ten years old, and that passion has only grown over the last eleven years. Aside from writing, my passions also include drawing, painting, and cuddling my cat, Mason.
Her Campus at Florida State University.