The arrival of November means the voting season is here! With midterm elections in session, if you are 18+ and eligible, it is imperative that you go out and vote. You have a voice, and it matters; do not let others fool you into thinking otherwise. We are in charge of shaping our future. Just as Roald Dahl said, “Somewhere inside of all of us is the power to change the world.” If you are fortunate enough to possess this power, there is no room for you to complain if you don’t go out and vote. If you remain silent in the face of adversity you are a part of the problem. If you are by any means unhappy or bothered by what’s been going on in our country, this is your moment to go out and make a difference. Whether you believe it or not, one vote does matter! According to CNN, states are already surpassing their comparable early voting totals from at this point in 2014. Although the turnout in 2014 was historically low, this kind of progress is a step in the right direction! Do some research, locate your nearest voting poll, go with friends, get a cute sticker, and know that you’ve contributed to something important.

We have the choice to either ignore what’s happening or do something about it. This is our chance to have our voices heard. In particular, as women, electing officials who will truly work hard to fight for our rights is essential. Women are continually faced with challenges regarding our rights, specifically when people try to regulate not only our bodies but our abilities to remain equal to men.

This is without a doubt one of the most important elections of our time. We cannot allow these people who have failed us over and over again to remain in Congress. A major change is needed, and the time has come to finally make that change. Even if you feel that you are not subject to any type of racism, sexism or oppression, go out and vote for those who are. Do what you can to help others so we all can live in a world where some are not faced with those challenges and trials every day.

Use your right to vote to your advantage. Voting is not only our right, but it is also our power and our responsibility. We need to take the right steps and elect leaders who are passionate and committed to building a better future for not only ourselves but for those who will succeed us. If not, our rights to clean water, clean air, health and prosperity are put in harm’s way. As Aberjhani put it, “The job facing American voters… in the days and years to come, is to determine which hearts, minds, and souls command those qualities best suited to unify a country rather than further divide it, to heal the wounds of a nation as opposed to aggravate its injuries, and to secure for the next generation a legacy of choices based on informed awareness rather than one of the reactions based on unknowing fear.”

As human beings, we are entitled to these necessities for life. We are all created equal, and if we long to continue to prosper and progress in our efforts to create peace and equality for everyone, it is imperative that we utilize every opportunity we get. Democracy isn’t just about voting, but more importantly about informed voting. Educate yourself on these candidates and what they stand for. Make sure you’re voting for someone you believe in; someone who will actively commit themselves to resolve the issues you see present in our country, because like Sharon Salzberg said, “Voting is the expression of our commitment to ourselves, one another, this country and this world.” 

Courtesy: Katarina Martinez

Katarina is a senior at Florida State University studying Creative Writing with a double minor in Education and Communications. You can find her at your local library reading a good book or writing for her blog https://katarinamartinez13.wixsite.com/kmartinezreads As an aspiring novelist and content writer, she is always looking to spread love and joy everywhere she goes.
Her Campus at Florida State University.